Aiming at distance

PLEASE HELP TO FUND ARCHERY INTERCHANGE

Tonym

Hi guys, as per my previous post yet another shout for advice on Aiming when shooting Barebow. When I was shooting at 40yds I was basically aiming at the top of the Target boss to get near the Gold, now I've moved to 50yds I don't have anything to aim at with the arrow point. I'm shooting 3 under, corner of my mouth, do I try moving my anchor point, try split finger, as it stands I'm stuck and just not progressing at all. Any advice very much appreciated.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
With three under and a side of face anchor you are always going to run out of elevation. I have a high anchor, forefinger just under cheek bone so not too dissimilar from you. When I'm shooting 46# I still need another anchor to reach 70 and 90. I like to be point on at all distances. So when I need the extra distance I anchor under the chin/jaw bone but maintain the three under and string walk. This will easily get me to 90m with about 4mm of string walking.
I did try Med release and was good for bow setup but it means adjusting, as you would for string walking, was impossible and forced me to gap shoot which I don't like. Two anchor points seemed strange at first but soon became second nature.

Last edited:

Tonym

M
With three under and a side of face anchor you are always going to run out of elevation. I have a high anchor, forefinger just under cheek bone so not too dissimilar from you. When I'm shooting 46# I still need another anchor to reach 70 and 90. I like to be point on at all distances. So when I need the extra distance I anchor under the chin/jaw bone but maintain the three under and string walk. This will easily get me to 90m with about 4mm of string walking.
I did try Med release and was good for bow setup but it means adjusting, as you would for string walking, was impossible and forced me to gap shoot which I don't like. Two anchor points seemed strange at first but soon became second nature.

Tonym

Many thanks for the reply Kid Curry, really does helps me, as per a previous post I'm very much a beginner without anyone at my club who can help as none shoot Barebow so I'm basically having to teach myself, I have also bought the books you recommended and just started on the first one.
Tonym

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I shoot 3 under with about a finger's worth of gap between index finger and arrow nock using a soft tab. I make sure I get the same position by touching the nock to my lip. This position means I aim at the base of the boss stand at 60y and leave me feeling a little tucked up at shorter distances but has the advantage of being able to shoot 80 yds with effectively a point of aim. For 100yds I shoot 1 finger over/2 under and anchor the same way as I would for recurve.
Now a very decent barebow shooter at my club string walks for different distances where I keep the same finger position and change the aiming mark on the ground/boss. Use what feels right for you at the relevant distance and dont think that one method is better than another at this stage

MJDEWEY86

Hi guys, as per my previous post yet another shout for advice on Aiming when shooting Barebow. When I was shooting at 40yds I was basically aiming at the top of the Target boss to get near the Gold, now I've moved to 50yds I don't have anything to aim at with the arrow point. I'm shooting 3 under, corner of my mouth, do I try moving my anchor point, try split finger, as it stands I'm stuck and just not progressing at all. Any advice very much appreciated.
For me - not suggesting this is what is supposed to be done - but when I'm shooting a 30lb barebow shot at 40 yards, I use the environment and external objects to cover the diatance. I'm lucky in the regard that the club I shoot with shoot on a sports field with rugby posts in the distance. I get my form ready - aim for the gold, ensure string alignment is good, make sure the wind isn't up etc.... Then I elevate in as straight a vertical as I can, above the box, and align the point of my arrow with the top of the rugby goal. That gets me on the board at least, but it isn't always consistent 🤣🤣🤣