ALDI Spotting Scope - this Sunday!!

Neo

I bought mine last year from aldi. Got the tripod from Argos for ?10 all sorted for ?30.

Cant go wrong for a scope on a budget.

I have no problems focusing on the 10 ring at 100 yrds.

Good Buy

King Custard

Just bought one of these and even managed to beat the twitchers to it. Quality is very commendable for the money! Bit dark at 60X but then its to be expected, but much brighter at 20X than my current 20X50 scope.
Exactly how I found mine to be.

....and it's a birthmark on her hip, case you were wondering - I got the kids astronoscope out to check...
More news as it happens....

* insert Benny Hill chortle*

Slim Jam

Just picked one up from Aldi's in Reading......They have a stack of over 20 still in the shop. It's not even Sunday :raspberry

Rgds, Jamie

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Got one on the way home from work (17:35)....

In all fairness, I don't think that ornithology is particularly popular in deepest, darkest Robroyston....

Not had a chance to have a proper look at it yet....will do that tomorrow @ Work.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Now we've all bought cheap spotting scopes we'll need cheap tripods to go with them :)

Anybody seen any good deals? :eek:ptimist:

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Now we've all bought cheap spotting scopes we'll need cheap tripods to go with them :)

7dayhop.com.....Full size tripod - ?10 + ?3.95 p&p
Argos...............Full size tripod - ?12.97

Probably about as cheap as you will get....

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter

I understand where you're coming from Tom but it really is a very bad idea to buy a cheap tripod

Better to take some of the money you've saved on the spotting scope and invest it (for investment it will be) in a better quality, i.e heavy, tripod. Something decent from the Manfrotto or Velbon line for example. There's usually plenty to choose from on ebay, and there's time to buy it and get it delivered before the outdoor season begins.

Tom

On another 'comeback'
Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I understand where you're coming from Tom but it really is a very bad idea to buy a cheap tripod

Better to take some of the money you've saved on the spotting scope and invest it (for investment it will be) in a better quality, i.e heavy, tripod. Something decent from the Manfrotto or Velbon line for example. There's usually plenty to choose from on ebay, and there's time to buy it and get it delivered before the outdoor season begins.
I was only semi-serious :) That's exactly the case I put forward to the bank manager last night to justify spending a bit extra on a tripod :D

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot

Some nice heavy weight for the bottom, or guy ropes would work!!!

Ffish

LOL! Fantastic photos!!

I bought one of these tripods from Ebay last year. As the name suggests, it is "sturdy" and also has a hook on the underside for hanging a junior on to keep it planted in windy conditions.

Sorry, did I say junior? I meant bag!

markmingay

If you are going to buy a tripod extend to full height grab hold of the top plate & try & twist if it moves above a few degrees don?t bother.
Look out for second hand Gitzo tripods I have a Gitzo Reporter must be 30 years old very stable will stay upright in a gale, Manfrotto or better quality Slik tripods are a good used buy If you want over the top Benbo Mk1 or Trekker will hold the largest scope. Sorry but avoid cheap tripods like the plague just wasting your money

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Gitzo is the brand all of our top photogs use. The ones at the intermediate level all go for Manfrotto. They also pointed out that cranking up the centre pole rather than the legs will make the tripod shakier and more unstable in the wind. Extend the legs every time!

phil_r_58

Supporter
Supporter
Ironman
My Tripod is a really decent "Slik" one. Picked it up a car boot sale for ?10, he was asking ?15.

I was wandering round the local car boot this Saturday on the way home from shooting and saw several, a couple were quite sturdy, and all around a tenner max.

acehero

These Aldi scopes really are great. I took mine outside late last night for a gander at the moon. Always been interested in astronomy but never done much about it. I was amazed at how much detail you could see at full zoom. I'll try it again tonight if its clear and this time use the tripod so its not wobbling all over the place.