ALL WOOD FLAT BOW

eric

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
For my next bow-build I intend to make an all wood straight limbed flat bow. Having studied all the data tables and wood properties I am still at a loss of which woods to use. My current thinking is Maple ( I do not like Hickory or Bamboo) backing, Purpleheart core and Masssaranduba/Bullet wood or Ipe belly. I would be grateful for any advice or alternative combinations that have been used successfully. Also can anybody recommend a Brown/Red hardwood that would be suitable for backing. Many thanks, Eric

bobnewboy

I havent tried it myself yet, but the guys over at Primitive Archer rate maple backed yew heartwood as a good combination. Fast and light in the hand. Currently I'm shooting an ash backed yew longbow which seems very fast to me. I do like both hickory and bamboo - especially boo backed osage, but if you want to avoid bamboo and hickory, ash and maple are good backings too.

BillM

My horsebow is ash sandwiched between yew. It is very light and extremely fast and looks good. [the fact it has fibreglass in it might be a factor].

BillM

D

Deleted member 7654

+1 on What Bobnewboy said. :)

Not sure why you dislike Hickory and Boo.
I tend to make self bows, but if I do make a backed bow, my top choices would be 'boo, Hickory or Yew sapwood.
Boo is very consistent and easily worked if you use a plane with a freshly sharpened blade, the common mistake is to make a boo backing too thick.
Del

D

Deleted member 7654

Just had a thought:- (I'll need a lie down!)
Hazel would prob do nicely, straight clean, knot free, readilly available, but it's white of course, mind it would stain or you could leave the bark on if oiled/waxed. Not sure why colour is a concern.
Del

eric

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Hi Del, Many thanks for your replies. I appreciate the excellent properties of Bamboo and Hickory as backings but I just don't like the look of them. (daft I know)
I would like to use a Red/Brown backing to contrast with light Lemonwood.
Hazel with the bark on sounds interesting. You say it is readily available, is this a case of going and cutting my own (With permission of course) or is there a supplier in the UK.

Kind regards, Eric

D

Deleted member 7654

Hi Del, Many thanks for your replies. I appreciate the excellent properties of Bamboo and Hickory as backings but I just don't like the look of them. (daft I know)
I would like to use a Red/Brown backing to contrast with light Lemonwood.
Hazel with the bark on sounds interesting. You say it is readily available, is this a case of going and cutting my own (With permission of course) or is there a supplier in the UK.

Kind regards, Eric
You'll have to cut it yourself, but at this time of year, local councils, volunteer groups (BTCV), golf courses etc will be beginning to do coppicing work etc.
Bowyer's Diary: Hazel Harvesting.
Del