Alternative Arrow pullers

disbloke

Another alternative arrow puller, the anti-rug slip pads, nice and cheap share with you friends and you can get many a puller out of one mat!

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
The non slip type 'cloth' stuff and jar opening pads are not good for pulling all arrows. The times I've nearly blown my top watching archers bending my arrows pulling them from the boss because they're all to pikey to spend ?3-?5on a proper arrow puller (and I wasn't pulling them coz I was scoring).

Using anything other than an arrow puller can also cause tendon inflamation so why put yourself at risk of injury?

Rant over :)

Big Boy Blue

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I have to agree with Whisky about using bits of rubber etc for arrows pullers. Some of the bosses at our club make it very difficult ot pull arrows out even with a proper puller. I have seen a few members trying to use thin rubber sheets and they cannot get the arrows out, which then makes them resort to bending the arrow up and down to get it to come out. It was at this point I stopped them as I did not want my ACE's damaged.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Ok fair enough... for those who KNOW how to remove arrows from a boss properly, rubber sheets are fine :) For those who don't - let them near your arrows with anything at your own risk :D I've modified my original post. But note that you can actually get MUCH more leverage with most "proper" arrow pullers!

SVL

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
disbloke said:
Another alternative arrow puller, the anti-rug slip pads, nice and cheap share with you friends and you can get many a puller out of one mat!
All our new beginners and club members get a arrow puller made from this when they join the club :cheerful: A nice GNAS green one :archer2:

SVL

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
whisky said:
The non slip type 'cloth' stuff and jar opening pads are not good for pulling all arrows. The times I've nearly blown my top watching archers bending my arrows pulling them from the boss because they're all to pikey to spend ?3-?5on a proper arrow puller (and I wasn't pulling them coz I was scoring).

Using anything other than an arrow puller can also cause tendon inflamation so why put yourself at risk of injury?

Well if you shoot compound ...... it works quite well on the arrows all our recurve archers shoot .... if I don't like the way my arrows are being pulled I specifically state I will pull them myself. In training or in cometition.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Arrow pullers - Ikea bath mat, cut up, makes a good arrow puller, as do the flower shaped jar openers you can get. PLEASE NOTE - IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE PROPER WAY TO PULL ARROWS, GET SOMEONE TO SHOW YOU THE CORRECT METHOD.

whisky

Supporter
Supporter
SVL said:
Well if you shoot compound ...... it works quite well on the arrows all our recurve archers shoot .... if I don't like the way my arrows are being pulled I specifically state I will pull them myself. In training or in cometition.
SVL - so if you are the designated scorer in a comp is it fair that you have to oversee and record the scoring aswell as pulling your own arrows?? Unfortunately it doesn't work that easily as arrows are often close together so it's difficult for other archers just to leave your arrows in the boss. And you then end up doubly tired if it's a really hard boss.

I still can't get my head around the fact that 'you' all spend hundreds, if not thousands of pounds on bows,limbs,sights, arrows etc but cant fork out a few pounds to buy a proper arrow puller. Most of the time you are pulling your own arrows out of the boss at your club. Why dont you want to look after your ammunition as best you can? :(

Kellog

The American
American Shoot
elastoplastscavenger said:
is it possible to bend carbon arrows? im guessing they are either straight or broken.
it is with most "carbon" arrows, any arrow with a metal core CAN be bent, tho it is quite hard work (I have a beautifully bent one from BUSA)

with solid carbon arrows no it isn't

wingate_52

I use a very thin sticky rubber sheet. Bought from Alternative Archery. Aro-Pula. Great. When it loses it's stickyness. Wash it under a tap. Good as new. Only drawback is pulling wet alloys. They tent to slip and slide with this device, but great on woodies, A/C's and carbons

highway-star

Hi,

I have tried using a lot of other method that you have mentioned. I found the best is still Gorilla and 2nd best will be Striker / K&K Arrow Puller Gripper. I short 38lb and my friend 42lb at close range for practices and you spend half of your strenght trying to remove the arrow, by the time you have done, you have loss half your strength. There are times where we forgot to oil our arrows and you can imagine the look on our face. My advice, invest in a Gorilla grip.

P

pyroarch57

Absolutely agree there Whisky, i`ve seen two x10`s busted that way where the persons were pulling too close to the boss with those!:thumbsdow

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I use a very thin sticky rubber sheet. Bought from Alternative Archery. Aro-Pula. Great. When it loses it's stickyness. Wash it under a tap. Good as new. Only drawback is pulling wet alloys. They tent to slip and slide with this device, but great on woodies, A/C's and carbons
I hated it. It was the cycle of 'pull arrow. Peel puller off shaft, peel puller off itself, pull next arrow' - slowed things down immensely.

cliveanne

Ironman
Just awandering folks...

How do you pull your arrows, with the arm or the shoulder?
I use the shoulder, it limits travel, should any moron stand too close,:fight: :fight: even after I have checked

syrus1

The best and cheapest arrow puller is an old car innertube makes about 30 units for nothing,our club has been using this method for years

dino1300

Shoulder & back. Well I used those muscles to put it there....

Using your arm will always mean putting a bend on the arrow. Eventually this will bend the arrows if you have to pull really hard.

simon m

Ironman
Anyone with bigish hands can bend an arrow alot by pulling/gripping hard with a thin rubber puller....I use the thick wedge cutout type for carbons and my hands for ally's and longbow sticks