Alternative to a scope

Hawkmoon

Hi all,

I just saw this little gizmo and was thinking of picking one up and trying it our with an android Tablet as an alternative to a spotting scope and just wondered what you guys thought and if you could see any issues with the rules etc.

Hmm can't seem to paste a link basically it is called the Googo Wifi Video Camera. Take a look and see what you think it is meant to have a range of up to 100 m out doors.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Well, they use cameras with screens in front of the shooting line at World Cup events during the finals so the archers don't require scope on the line, so there's your example of it happening... of course, you'd want to trust your fellow archers to be good enough not to drop an arrow into your camera...

padlin

Well, they use cameras with screens in front of the shooting line at World Cup events during the finals so the archers don't require scope on the line, so there's your example of it happening... of course, you'd want to trust your fellow archers to be good enough not to drop an arrow into your camera...
I occasionally use a Sony Handicam with a 40x optical zoom and just the small viewing screen, I could link it to the notebook but not as yet. The main problem is the weather!!! :gloomy:

M

Moose

Other than the rules of shooting ban electronics on the shooting line for the archers

And the rain

Snow

Wind

CHAVs etc

posted by moose on the loose

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Other than the rules of shooting ban electronics on the shooting line for the archers
actually, I would say that the rules DON'T ban such a device (probably why they are used at some events). Certainly GNAS rule 303(h) states;

Exclusions. Archers are not permitted electronic communications devices and headsets in front of the waiting line.
and this is not a communications device* (though it could be used as such if you wanted), it is in effect an electronic scope. Otherwise all other mention of the non-allowance of electronic stuff is ON the bow (sight/draw length checker/rest) and in the case of compound release aid/hand protection...

* - and how many archers shoot with their phone in their pocket in blatant disregard of the rules...??

IanRobo

spotted an issue....
only has 4 hr battery life so the 7 hr Fita's and york rounds are going to give a problem. lol
however looks like a good idea

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
actually, I would say that the rules DON'T ban such a device (probably why they are used at some events). Certainly GNAS rule 303(h) states;

and this is not a communications device* (though it could be used as such if you wanted), it is in effect an electronic scope. Otherwise all other mention of the non-allowance of electronic stuff is ON the bow (sight/draw length checker/rest) and in the case of compound release aid/hand protection...

* - and how many archers shoot with their phone in their pocket in blatant disregard of the rules...??
I think someone previously got a ruling on the use of a video camera as a scope and it was a flat "no", but that was in relation to a camcorder on the line...
"Communication device" seems to be interpreted as "anything which could conceivably be used to communicate in any fashion", rather than just things designed for communicating...

So use of a screen, which could presumably be jiggered to receive messages over WiFi or Bluetooth (etc) would be frowned on.

M

Moose

actually, I would say that the rules DON'T ban such a device (probably why they are used at some events). Certainly GNAS rule 303(h) states; and this is not a communications device* (though it could be used as such if you wanted), it is in effect an electronic scope. Otherwise all other mention of the non-allowance of electronic stuff is ON the bow (sight/draw length checker/rest) and in the case of compound release aid/hand protection... * - and how many archers shoot with their phone in their pocket in blatant disregard of the rules...??
But still weather and CHAV's still persist lol

posted by moose on the loose

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I'll stick with my mono view. No batteries. No electronics. Not really nickable as its in my pocket when not in use.

Your correct. I don't have a sat-nav. I still use maps.

Dennis

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Two more possibilities:
- a USB camera on a scope tied into a PC/screen that will show the arrows on a screen as they land instead of having to bend over and use the scope; or, even better
- the above setup linked via Bluetooth to Google glasses, so the image of the arrow landing is visible immediately as heads-up in front of your eye.

Mark31121

Ironman
Two more possibilities:
- a USB camera on a scope tied into a PC/screen that will show the arrows on a screen as they land instead of having to bend over and use the scope; or, even better
- the above setup linked via Bluetooth to Google glasses, so the image of the arrow landing is visible immediately as heads-up in front of your eye.

But the Google glasses wouldn't be allowed...

padlin

spotted an issue....
only has 4 hr battery life so the 7 hr Fita's and york rounds are going to give a problem. lol
however looks like a good idea
Much bigger battery packs are available for the Handicam giving a greatly extended battery life, and I have 2 of them = no problem, it works a treat.

LloydDavage

Just to add my 2 peneth. I have been toying with a Raspberry PI of late. I have managed to set this up with a motion sensor and camera module. This at point of motion detection emails me the picture that is taken. Now what I want to do is set this up with a wifi dongle, battery back and the rest then use it pointing at the Target to take a picture everytime motion occurs (Arrow Arrives). This could also be used with live streaming video feed. To advance even further how about linked to a pair of google glasses and have a heads up display of the target.

Hi all,

I just saw this little gizmo and was thinking of picking one up and trying it our with an android Tablet as an alternative to a spotting scope and just wondered what you guys thought and if you could see any issues with the rules etc.

Hmm can't seem to paste a link basically it is called the Googo Wifi Video Camera. Take a look and see what you think it is meant to have a range of up to 100 m out doors.

Hawkmoon

Just an update not going for one of these as it seems pretty poor quality. The advantage over most wireless cams is that it does not need to connect vis a network as with most cams (like printers). I was really interested in it for practice rather than competitions as I never use a scope on the line after sighters.

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter
What about wireless security cameras with motion sensors that can be mounted to say a permanent boss, these can be linked to a screen on the line, "chinese price" around 250 pounds for eight?

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
World Archery uses remote cameras and monitors for archers on the line during the finals... for down the field/normal shoot... I give it three ends before a longbower shoots your camera.

Corax67

World Archery uses remote cameras and monitors for archers on the line during the finals... for down the field/normal shoot... I give it three ends before a longbower shoots your camera.
I think 3 ends is about right - pretty much every competition I shot at last summer someone managed to split a 1/4" flag pole atop the boss :)

Karl