Aluminium telegraph poles vs skinny stealth jet carbons, and other things.

MSR

AIUK Saviour
Hello, I've come back from a few years out (henceforth referred to as the Dark Times) and I find I've either forgotten, or can't remember how to remember, various things I used to take for granted. So, I'm adopting the status of elder noob, and am commencing with the stupid questions, once again.

First stupid question: I inherited two sets of arrows from the wise old owl from whom I bought my last bow, before the Dark Times: a clutch of aluminium Easton "telegraph poles" and some ACE carbons. When I last shot, I used the carbons for indoors, and switched to the telegraph poles for outdoors. The reasoning was that the poles (I'm calling them this because a member at my new club was aghast at how big they are) would fly better in windy conditions thanks to greater inertia due to greater mass, and are more likely to cut a line ;-)

But is this a silly idea? At my new club I'm the only one with aluminium arrows! It's all super skinny tooth picks that vanish into the air like a stealth jet, while everyone watches my Boeing 747s roar down range and land in the target like a javelin on High School sports day.

Is it time to go carbon in all weathers? Bear in mind, it does mean adjusting the button!

Thorvald

Well in general, the normal way around is that you use big diameter arrows indoors for cutting lines in the smaller point circles and in general thin(ner) arrows outdoors, so they don't catch as much wind (plus they are lighter and can reach longer distances, without sight being way down). That being said I have tried to shoot with my indoor arrows outdoors and they flew quite well. (I only shoot up to 30 m). But since I shoot 3D for competitions my outdoor (3D) arrows are probably what you could call medium diameter - I think 6,5 mm (Easton Bowfire). They are not very skinny, I use carbon arrows (or alu-carbons earlier, but now only carbon) for both indoor and outdoor.