Android scoring apps...

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I haven't actually done any shooting to score on my 'droid phone. I used a Palm and TargetPlot for years. But I don't really want to carry more than one gadget around with me...

So I got to looking at scoring apps on the market. I don't object to paying for something that works well, but it seems surprisingly hard to find.

I'm toying with the idea of writing something for my own use in the medium term, as I'd prefer if it could export data to TargetPlot on the PC. I haven't got any further than a basic score recording gui at the moment, though...

I thought there might be interest in a gathering of information on Android scoring apps?

The one I have loaded at the moment is:
Archery Score (by Champagne)

Anyone got a favourite?

chris h

I've got one that records sight marks as well as scores. It also gives information on the rounds too. It is called Archery Companion

Panama

Do any of them allow you to enter score with numbers rather than trying to touch a place on the app target?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

messyhead

I use archery companion as well. It allows just the score entry, and has preset rounds to select from.

I think I've tried every scoring app in the market, and in my opinion its the best.

Archery score let's you mark where your arrows go, and can do some analysis. But I found it too slow to enter scores.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Ive seen a few people comment on plotting arrows being "too slow", but I guess it's just a matter of taste. I was using TargetPlot from before there were colour Palms to run it on, So I guess I'm well used to that form of scoring...
It's certainly quicker than drawing dots on those little target diagrams you get on the back of scoresheets...

I would certainly agree that some apps don't implement that form of scoring terribly well. Ideally you want it to be as simple as just looking at the target and tapping the corresponding locations.

messyhead

I use Archery Scoepad
Really fast and easy to use, also records sightmarks and high scores.
I think James who wrote it is a forum member.

I did try apps where you can plot arrow position but its too slow.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=archery%20scorepad%20android&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fplay.google.com%2Fstore%2Fapps%2Fdetails%3Fid%3Dcom.beyond.apps.archery.scorepad%26hl%3Den&ei=sYBDUPnCGsPR0QWCp4D4DA&usg=AFQjCNGxHMlV_KBmN88bHZ7WeCAqGlTuHg
Is this worth the price? I use Archery Companion, which already has a lot of the features. Only thing missing from it is the classification tables, and the ability to export.

Holst

Is this worth the price? I use Archery Companion, which already has a lot of the features. Only thing missing from it is the classification tables, and the ability to export.
I bought it when it was first released.

I tried the other free offerings available at the time and none of them worked particularly well, however they have probably improved since then.
Im not even sure if Archery Companion was available for Android then.

I do find the classifications useful and being able to email a score is handy, but neither of these is essential.

However it is only ?1.50.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Another one I'm looking at; Artemis Lite.
Not so much a scoring app, by the looks of it, as for analysis. Detailed gathering of setup information before you can start. It will be interesting to see how it works.

I've used Marcel's arrow selection app before, so I have hopes for this one.

messyhead

Another one I'm looking at; Artemis Lite.
Not so much a scoring app, by the looks of it, as for analysis. Detailed gathering of setup information before you can start. It will be interesting to see how it works.

I've used Marcel's arrow selection app before, so I have hopes for this one.
I've tried this as well, and to be honest, I thought it was pretty crap. Yeah, you can enter every detail about your arrows, sight, bow etc. But it assumes a few things, for example that you use a sight with click micro adjustment, which I don't and then doesn't allow the click adjustment values to be blank. I'm also not sure that it has the arrow spine sizes correct. It lets you enter spine in 1000th/inch, but then doesn't accept the input as valid. And for diameter, it only has an option for 1000th/inch and not 64th/inch, so when you convert it to 1000th/inch, or even just in inches, it doesn't accept the value.

I did load up the sample data that it has, and it looks like it could be useful as it gives recommendations on sight movements etc. But it's too fiddly and annoying to set up, and really only useful for people that like to analyse every Nth degree of their form and setup.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Another vote for Archery Scorepad.

J_Dudley (the chap who wrote it) is indeed a member on here.

I have tried numerous apps, with most of them doing the job. However I found Archery Scorepad was by far the easiest and overall the best to use

Hax

I also use Archery Scorepad and find it to be an excellent application. However, it does have one quirk (probably an Android side effect) in that it occasionally loses your score information part way through a round. I've had it happen a few times now and have reported it to James who is investigating. The current thought is that the Android OS is unloading the app, causing it to lose the data.

I only point this out as I would hate for someone to rely on this app 100% and not have a paper copy to revert to should they lose the details.

Mufti

Consolidation

Greets peeps.

I propose that rather than saying I like application XYZ we give reasons and comment.

I have tried a few apps (but by no means all) on my Android.

Here are some I know are worth considering;

AndyPad
Goldrush
Shoot n Score
StatsShoot
Archery Scorepad
Artemis Lite
ArcheryBuddy
Archery Companion
ScoringHelper
Archery Score

And I will start the reviews on AndyPad and Goldrush if you like :)

woodsplitter

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I also use Archery Scorepad and find it to be an excellent application. However, it does have one quirk (probably an Android side effect) in that it occasionally loses your score information part way through a round. I've had it happen a few times now and have reported it to James who is investigating. The current thought is that the Android OS is unloading the app, causing it to lose the data.

I only point this out as I would hate for someone to rely on this app 100% and not have a paper copy to revert to should they lose the details.
Can't say I've seen that. I'm using an HTC Desire with OS 2.2. I'm sure James will get to the bottom of it before long.

OK, why I like it: I find that it just does exactly what it needs to do. You select your bowstyle, set of arrows and round - you can even create a custom round. Then you enter the scores and everything gets totted up for you. You can save the score and/or export it to email. The software will display best scores in each round or all scores. Scores are entered by touching the appropriate number, which I find far less finicky than trying to use an on-screen target to enter the scores.

Hax

Can't say I've seen that. I'm using an HTC Desire with OS 2.2. I'm sure James will get to the bottom of it before long.

OK, why I like it: I find that it just does exactly what it needs to do. You select your bowstyle, set of arrows and round - you can even create a custom round. Then you enter the scores and everything gets totted up for you. You can save the score and/or export it to email. The software will display best scores in each round or all scores. Scores are entered by touching the appropriate number, which I find far less finicky than trying to use an on-screen target to enter the scores.
Don't get me wrong, I think that Archery ScorePad is great and like yourself, I prefer the simplistic entry of scores via numbers, I find it a much more positive interface to use and far less error prone than trying to click on a graphical representation of the target.

Easier (read automatic, over the internet) synchronization is on my wishlist for this app so that I can more easily keep my phone and tablet up to date, something else that I've mentioned to James and something he said he's looking into. So, fingers crossed, this app will just keep growing and offering more and more features.

I've tried with a couple of other apps, I forget which, and found them all to be lacking in ease of use or features, none come even close.