Another recurve/riser quandary

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Well nearly finished the beginners course and now started seriously pondering my first recurve set up.
I started looking at some of the cheaper entry level bows that have changeable limbs for upping the poundage, but the misfiring grey matter is wondering about going a little further up the price scale and exchanging some hard earned for something along the lines of a wns axiom riser with suitable poundage limbs.
So any views or reviews on this riser or those of a similar price would be much appreciated
Matt

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
I've recently moved up to an Axiom alpha (with 36lb 70" Samick limbs) as my second bow after the beginners course.

For about the price of the WNS you could have a complete Core bow - that's what I started with ;)

- Once I started shooting decently @ 40yds+ I felt the need to move up.

But I'm keeping the Core! I have some 40lb limbs on the way (less than ?30) to use for SPTs to up my poundage - cheaper than those fancy stretchy bandy things ;)

There's nowt wrong with the Alpha, it does what a riser is supposed to do. I'm of the opinion that spending much more than that on a 'premium' riser is just showing off. It's the bendys wot makes the magic!

Advice? Do what makes you happy & doesn't break the bank.

From what I've seen, whatever path you take, you'll end up with loads of things that you'll rarely use again, but are loathed to say goodbye to.

C'est la vie.

Corax67

At club weadvise our beginners to buy the best riser they can afford because a riser will last you many years before requiring replacement (if at all) but limbs that are cheap & cheerful will perform completely well until you hit your ideal draw weight and consider top end carbon ones.

I was incredibly lucky picking up a pre-owned Inno CXT at the end of my beginners course and I still have it & will never part with it. Limbs have changed through many sets from SF foam to my current 42# Hoyt G3’s that are the bees knees reaching 100yds with ease.

Karl

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Go ILF as soon as you can - second hand is no disgrace - and get cheap limbs while you build form and poundage.

chuffalump

Same.

Don't buy expensive limbs till you've settled on a poundage, or even length. ILF means you can buy any manufacturers limbs and slot them in. The WNS axiom alpha limbs ought to be what I knew as SF Axiom Plus. For the price you couldn't go wrong for a starter limb.

Risers are pretty much what you can comfortably afford but you'll probably move up the scale if you stick with it. So, personally, a cheaper International Limb Fitting model is a good start. Once you've gained experience and knowledge you can better decide on a posher item. A good second hand deal can give you a bigger first step but remember to budget for arrows (look up spine charts), arrow rest, pressure button, tab, quiver, bag, arm guard, string, wax and stabilisers+sight (unless you go exclusively barebow). Then, later, there's fetching jigs, serving tools, string jigs, various multi-compartmented cases for spare vanes, spools of string material, points, nocks, fletching tape and glue. Finally a shed or similar.

Enjoy.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If any of us gives our bow to a better archer, that better archer will get better results with our bow than we do. The bow, therefore is capable of giving better results. All we have to do is become that " better archer".
I have bought a lot of "better" equipment( including bows) in the past. I am still the same mediocre archer as a result.

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Karl, Toad, Chuffa
that's what im thinking, a decent riser and cheapish limbs until the poundage stabilises then get some more expensive limbs but not too extravagant as I cant see me wanting to compete above club level.
yup have factored in the cost of everything ill need and kept within the budget I originally set with a little wiggle room for some small odds and sods that may take the fancy.
with a cunning plan to upgrade the ancillary kit as and when needed or spare beer tokens allow
Matt

Corax67

Cool - lots of riser choice in the sub ?200 bracket which are rock solid and will last you years. SF were the choice when I started but I see a mix of WNS, Kinetic, Fivics and slightly dearer Mybo on the lines now.

Whichever you choose or fancy you really need to get to a shop and try a few out in the hand for feel and response, worth planning on half a day for riser shopping as a minimum.

Karl

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Cool - lots of riser choice in the sub ?200 bracket which are rock solid and will last you years. SF were the choice when I started but I see a mix of WNS, Kinetic, Fivics and slightly dearer Mybo on the lines now.

Whichever you choose or fancy you really need to get to a shop and try a few out in the hand for feel and response, worth planning on half a day for riser shopping as a minimum.

Karl
I already have a day booked off next week especially for this shopping trip, I?m hoping that going in the week will mean the shops not so busy and give plenty of scope for trying before buying
Matt

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Well the deed is done!
I?m now the slightly poorer owner of one wns axiom 25in riser matched with a pair of Mybo synergy star 28lb limbs and a cartel focus sight along with the various ancillary bits needed with some lovely 1716 spine Easton tribute arrows and a maxion bag to keep it all in the same place.
Thanks to the great team at Merlin Loughborough for setting up and advice
The only pain is due to a family birthday in Kent tomorrow I won?t be able to shoot my lovely set up again until Tuesday
Matt

Corax67

Don’t worry about 20yds, we’ve archers shooting kit like that and pounding the 60 & 80yd targets - you will soon be amazed by what you can achieve with your own kit :)

Good shooting and I hope to see some of your achievements on here too.

Karl

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Don’t worry about 20yds, we’ve archers shooting kit like that and pounding the 60 & 80yd targets - you will soon be amazed by what you can achieve with your own kit :)

Good shooting and I hope to see some of your achievements on here too.

Karl
Thanks Karl
I’m trying to start sensible so I don’t spend more time looking for wild ones than shooting but I’ll see how it goes on Tuesday and maybe move out the distance on Saturday if I’m consistent at 20.
although on my course I was never off the boss so there is some hope there
Matt

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Don't succumb to the dark side HKP, get a set of rods & shoot like an Olympian!

Do you really want to spend more time searching for 'greens' than you do shooting?

Where the hell is the fun in that?

:poulies: ,, ,,,, , ,,,, ,,, ,, , ,,, ,,,,,, ,, , :fita3:

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Don't succumb to the dark side HKP, get a set of rods & shoot like an Olympian!

Do you really want to spend more time searching for 'greens' than you do shooting?

Where the hell is the fun in that?

:poulies: ,, ,,,, , ,,,, ,,, ,, , ,,, ,,,,,, ,, , :fita3:
the dark side? Nobody’s mentioned a c**p***d :mischievo
still got reservations about a bow that looks like it’s from skaro though :stirthepo

HongKongPhooey

Supporter
Supporter
Well I can confirm that the bow does indeed work just fine, well at 20 yards anyway wildest shot was an inner blue so well chuffed and going to push out to 30 yards on Saturday if I?m allowed out to play by swimbo
Matt