Another replica horsebow

D

Deleted member 7654

Looking good.
I screwed up the laminating of my core by reversing one of my tapered laminations whilst spreading the adhesive...I'll make a hand built core as I've got some glass lams which are hanging around to use up. I got some nice bits of Ash with curved grain for the ears.
Hope mine ends up looking as nice as yours.
Del

barney

I always make my own cores, usually around and eighth of an inch thick, by an inch or so wide (you may need to go a bit wider with Ash). I'ts a good idea to leave the last few inches of the core a bit thicker as the torsional stability of these glass replicas can be a bit borderline.

Good Luck.

D

Deleted member 7654

Ta for the advice...
Do you have a pic of it unbraced?
Del

barney

Unbraced:

As you can see the bottom bow is more radical in design. I would be wary of attempting such a curvy creature in glass (unless it's low poundage) as it's just not strong enough. I'm about to start a proper horn/sinew composite in the next couple of weeks which should be better suited to taking the high stresses.

regards.

Schoonertom

Barney, that is a beautiful bow , when I've done making my flat bow, with stuff I've had hidden away for 20 years I'd like to make a horn composite ,more inclined now that I've read your comments on the relative weakness of glass lams. But I'd be very happy to make a bow like yours even if of a low draw weight. I think there is a bit of confusion about very heavy draw weights for horsebows and the equivalent fighting bows, the excessive draw weights, I think, were for distance, i.e. flight-shooting which was a very different exercise Once again ,lovely bow, and best wishes Tom

barney

Thanks for the comments, Tom.

The main problem with the glass in these bows is the torsional stability - They're prone to limb twist (I've even heard this is a problem with commercial glass replicas too).

In addition to making a horn/sinew composite, I'm also thinking of a hybrid horn/glass composite: Horn on the belly (for stability) , glass on the back.

Should give me something to work on while my sinew's curing.

regards,

Barney

Schoonertom

very interesting, I have had my Black Douglas twist whilst stringing and hope I have sorted out the twist with heat and a couple of days in a sort of string jig. Haven't shot it since as I am now in Denmark for a spell. I think your idea for a mixed material bow is a good one, I have a feeling that old bows maybe used glues we aren't sure about , that is there are many sorts of hidebone glues and some are not that strong I once helped a friend who made glues for the book-binding trade and he made two or three all different but the demands of book-binding and bow-making very different.
Where did you learn your craft? I am coming back into bow-making and my literature is old though still published so it must be OK but deals very simply with the subject , any advice happily received.

Best wishes Tom