[American Flatbow] Another "which bow" thread - relatively specific this time!

Dhansak

Hi all

As a present to myself for upcoming birthday/xmas I was going to treat myself to my first traditional bow. I am a target recurve archer slowly winning a battle with target panic so this was to be a fun treat as a reward for victory. However this has proved to be a longer slog (6 months of structured active fight back) so I suspect my reward has not been quite earned yet. However, I am still asking for input now because:

- 2 out of the 3 bows am I am interested in have a 12 week lead time; they are made abroad so i can't try them first. This would normally break my primary rule of try before you buy, but don't know of way to get round this one

- 3rd bow is theoretically available in the uk but seems to be out of stock until production picks up.

So I'm guessing about 3 months would pass before I could actually hold one of these, by which time I should be no longer suffering the panic blues. I was going to put "fingers crossed" here but daren't admit doubt to my subconscious - oops :)

The bows I'm interested in are

Bodnik Slick stick

Falco Spirit

Timberstick Cottonmouth

I am quite taken with these because of their bamboo element, price point, reputedly smooth draw at 29.5" (adding an inch to my recurve draw length), apparently good rep and in the Bodnik case - really long warranty.

Has anyone got any experience with these they would like to share? Also did any of you take the risk of ordering one before trying it out? - if so
how did you make the judgement call without hands-on?

By the way, I do know there is a UK supplier of the first 2 but they are out of stock at the moment so would have to get them made at source too.

Also apologies if all this text appears twice in my post - don't know why that is happening recently!

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
It does look like you have been doing some research :) as these were the same three bows on my shortlist. After 30 years of shooting compound I wanted a distraction, not as hard core as longbow but not as techy as modern recurve. AFB was spot on.
I couldn't try the Falco and lead times were out of the question. Tried a friends Cottonmouth which was great and was going to order one as the Magician said they would be in in about 5 weeks. That would have been about a week and a half ago but still not in yet, but must be soon.

By luck I got the chance to try the Bodnik. Short, fast, no hand shock and overall impression was 'freaking awesome':) Understated matt finish, whisper quiet, ridiculously light and smooth as butter to draw.
What a frigging mistake buying the Bodnik was! ..................In the last 4 weeks I have only shot my compound twice. I now have to force myself to leave the Bodnik at home or I will be too tempted to play with the AFB:)

If you intend to meet the Archery GB requirements I think only the Felco will do. I also ordered my Slick Stick from Germany. They seem to have the monopoly on this German manufacturer.

Flamez

AIUK Saviour
I have a 25lb Falco Legend with bow bag and seven arrows for sale... Only 3 months old and ?130

Dhansak

KidCurry - that response made me smile :) Sounds as if my research specs led me to the same place! That's quite a glowing review of the Bodnik - good to know! Your poor compound could probably use a rest - surely it can't be jealous after 30yrs on the go? :)

Seriously though, it sounds like a great bow. Smooth as butter is what I'm after!

My problem has been the lack of compare and contrast type of stuff on the internet. I have seen very positive reviews on all of the 3 bows from trustworthy sources. Unfortunately most of these sources only seem to review one "stream" - there doesn't seem to be a lot of mixed manufacturer testing for each source. Fair enough though - needs a lot of time and huge funds to do that I guess.

Meanwhile I'll put down "freaking awesome" as a big vote for the Bodnik! I'm not bothered by AGB rules in this context - am hoping to have more time next year to give NFAS a proper tryout

Flamez - thanks for the heads up re your Falco Legend. I do believe I have it on my watch list on the bay! I was searching for 2nd hand falcos and bodniks and I think yours was the only one to show up. Earlier in my research process, the Legend was a definite contender, but eventually I zeroed in on the bows with bamboo in the limbs so it dropped off my radar. But I kept it on my watch list due to being a bit undecided - plus the negative side of having long lead times for something new. At the moment though, I really think I'll be focusing on the 3 on my shortlist. Thanks though :)