Anyone any luck getting Avalon arrow tubes to stay put?

LittleSkink

Got a couple of the more expensive Avalon arrow tubes (screw lid ones with 3 detents to set length) and they work really well

Was recommended the ribbed Avalon tube as its hard to lose the lid because is captive with the strap - but (so far) its proving to be rubbish. Apart from the super flimsy materials, undoing the lid takes more force than adjusting the length so it keep collapsing every time I try to open it

Anyone got a solution that works? I have tried to put a strip of rubber in the two grooves to stop the detent disengaging but they fall out

4d4m

I've got one of the Mybo screw lid ones which from your description may well be out of the same factory as the Avalon you mention, and one of the ribbed Avalon ones. On both I just wrapped a length of electrical tape tight round the join. Electrical tape as it's stretchy so it forms to the different profiles of the 2 parts of the tube. Simple, cheap and effective, plus black tape on a black tube is near invisible.

LittleSkink

thanks for that - will give it a go as this is driving my nuts and makes the ribbed arrow tube almost useless for me. For the extra few pennies I will get the screw lids ones and avoid these in future

You are correct the Mybo and screw top Avalon arrow tubes are identical, my daughter has the Mybo one, only the sticker is different

4d4m

For me both types of tube would constantly disengage from their locked positions, even screwing the lid on the Mybo would often do it. With the tape it just doesn't happen. If anything I prefer the Avalon out of the two now as it's quicker to open and close.

LittleSkink

maybe the screw lids ones will get worse with use

because the material is thicker / stronger in the screw top tubes, I can actually get a strip of rubber in the detent channel to prevent it turning - the local swimming baths provided the perfect piece of rubber, when they are busy you get issued with a thick coloured rubber band. My kids sometimes forget to return them

Geophys2

AIUK Saviour
Yes I use the electrical tape as well, with the Avalon tubes, I use different coloured tape for different arrow sets. I like the type with the attached top, I bought half a dozen when they first came out and they are pretty solid, I don't have any experience of more recent manufacture.