Anyone used any of these uncommon recurve limbs?

turtle

I'm putting together a second barebow, so that I can leave one set up for indoor and/or experimenting and use the other for the current season. I have the second riser and components, but looking for limbs. I currently have Mybo Synergy Carbon limbs (long) that I got on sale for about £135. They are very good limbs and I am looking for something different, most likely a few lbs higher or lower in weight. I am considering limbs of around £300 and below and have enjoyed using foam and wood limbs. I am looking for something stable, easy to tune, reasonably quick (but not fixated on that) and well made. I am happy to buy discounted models being phased out, because I think this is where best value lies

Limbs that have caught my eye are:

1. WNS FC100. These are around £300 and seem to be well regarded. No special prices as current.
2. Fivics Vellators (wood and foam available).These are being discontinued, so discounted. I can't find any comment online regarding their performance.
3. Cartel Midas MPS Carbon (wood or foam). Presumably these are made my someone else. Anyone know who makes them or if they are any good. Can be found half original price.
4. SF Velocity Pro. There are a few pairs still out there and I have found some longs. I hear these are superb limbs, but run heavy as per W&W.
5. KG Archery NEXGEN wood/carbon. These are discounted as being phased out and I assume rather good?

Can anyone comment on the above so? I am especially curious about the Vellators and Cartels, because of price and the fact there's next to no info out there!

P.S. Does anyone know who makes Mybo Synergy limbs? I am assuming someone else made the Mybo limbs I use. I know Merlin makes aluminium risers etc, but limbs?

Valkamai

I have a set of the nexgen limbs and they are simply the best limbs I've ever used.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

turtle

Hi Valkamai, that's quite an endorsement! I have seen good comments on them from others too. What do you like about them and can you compare them to other limbs you've used?

Stretch

You just can’t talk about limbs like this and it mean anything. Not all limbs are the same. Some increase at 0.5# per inch, some at 1.5# per inch, some at 3# per inch. What you think is best will be a draw curve that matches how you shoot. For barebow it would usually be at the low end as that reduces the impact of drawlength changes due to error or stringwalk (Uukha/Border) Some clicker users like to feel a bit more of a wall to pull against (2-3# per inch) Which I thing the FC100 come in to. Others like medium soft limbs like the Hoyt Velos of W&W MXT-G. It’s very personal and what works for one may not work for another. (Just count the number of high end W&W limbs are currently in production and shot at top level).

If you are thinking barebow you might want to also consider the Gillo limbs that are designed to be shot well in a BB setup. Some limbs will get noisy if you string walk and be harder to set up.

Also make sure that you understand how the manufacturer weighs there limbs - some (like Hoyt) weight at the mid point of the typical adjustment range. Others (like W&W) weigh at the minimum setting - that is probably why the perception of W&W and SF limbs ”weigh heavy”. The limb may also have a higher #/inch but I couldn’t say.

Worth noting that there are some good deals on last years Uukha limbs in your price range (if you can find the size) and Uukha also have a draw weight calculator on their site which is effective a published draw force curve. Not my cup of tea but excellent for BB allegedly :p

It’s been a while since I came across a bad limb, even the sub 100 limbs are pretty good these days in terms of manufacturing. But you need to understand what you like and what category the limb comes into to make an educated decision.

Maybe someone can post a Draw Force curve for the KG limbs?

Stretch

Stretch

Not personally but someone on ArcheryTalk rated them as stiffer than Winact, so that is pretty stiff (if true)

Limbs on a Push-Pull (Smooth-Solid) Spectrum

However don’t read too much into it without verification - the table in question is very subjective and I’d disagree with some of the data points. A lot of people don’t understand the difference between stiff/soft FD curve and limbs being heavier/lighter than they expected.

Stretch

Rhys

AIUK Saviour
Not personally but someone on ArcheryTalk rated them as stiffer than Winact, so that is pretty stiff (if true)
Unfortunately I haven't got a bow scale to hand. I've got a set and whilst they're probably in the 2-3lbs per inch range I'd say they feel pretty similar to the rest of the W&W range (both inno and winex limbs). Tidy limbs for the price, but definitely the typical "stiffish" W&W feel. Would love to see more of the limbs on the market put through the draw force curve plotting that Jake Kaminski does in his videos.

Attachments

Stretch

Surprised by Winnex, it wasn’t my experience. My 36# Winnex gave 41# at 31” or so when fully wound up. (It was a Helix which had slightly different geometry and shortened my drawlength… but still…).

I sold them because they were just so soft and that made aiming very hard. (And they were 4# too light :eek:). They did shoot well though…

Stretch

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Why not ask KG for the force curve, I have a KG Minerva with carbon limbs and it is a very smooth bow.

I say ding dong

AIUK Saviour
Anybody shot KG nx55 limbs. Also looking at Win&Win CX7 can't decide which one.
Yes, purchased NX55s when they were first launched. I haven't tried any CX7s but against my UUkhas S curves, W&W Inno Kelar foam, and Fivics Vellator foam and carbon, they are the stiffest if the whole lot. If you want a limb with which you want to feel in touch all through the shot (as opposed to the drop-off experienced with UUkha) these are faultless.