Archery funding doubled

Whitehart

Yes, I have taken both of the Level 1 and Level 2 AGB courses, and to be honest both were, to a large extent, a waste of time and money. I do hold the qualifications but when I coach I use the WA level 1 and 2 coaching manuals as my resource, that and the KSL material. I coached to GB taem level in another olympic sport previously, and the AGBs courses were a bit of a culture shock.
Agreed what is also frustrating is that AGB will not take in to consideration past experience so I have to sit through level 1 & 2 just to tick boxes and pay them a load of cash and waste a few years before the content really covers any thing remotely new and what I see as coaching. I also end up with a coaching certification that will not be representative of how to coach just to have "Coach" printed on the back of a T Shirt.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I would be happy to do a level 1 and level 2 course if I could be accredited for being a qualified teacher but apparently it doesn't count for anything :(

Eugen

What I see is that all content and idea of L1/2 is to prepare volunteers (!!!!) with very-very basic understanding of archery As a hobby/leisure activity.
coach, I convinced, should have much more then just explain where the nocking point is located and how to screw the sight and how to anchor. All idea is to teach/train following the approach ‘repeat after me’ and ‘just do as I showed and don’t ask or try to understand’.
BUT.....
personal development and passion to archery as sport - are our drivers of progress.... and discrepancy, I personally see, between of what we are for AGB (‘animators’ for hobby activities) and what we see/do in our frontline (‘coach(no and teaching’ for archery as sport), is very obvious.....
I hope AGB will finally find understanding what they want and will hear and apply experiences, opinions, ideas of people

jangiolini

The simple answer is vote with your feet. I donot believe in AGB they are elitest and donot represent all archers in the UK I am a member of the IFAA through the SFAA and it is a much simpler less costly way of getting into international competitions.
Insurance is an easy fix we as a club, with some non competitive shooters, have full coverage for less than £200 a year we also have SFAA insurance for the competitive shooters.
I feel that many feel it is compulsory to join AGB its not.

Eugen

The simple answer is vote with your feet. I donot believe in AGB they are elitest and donot represent all archers in the UK I am a member of the IFAA through the SFAA and it is a much simpler less costly way of getting into international competitions.
Insurance is an easy fix we as a club, with some non competitive shooters, have full coverage for less than £200 a year we also have SFAA insurance for the competitive shooters.
Agree, it is not compulsory BUT we all want to belong to ‘community’ and be part of it. As for now there is only AGB with all positive and not too positive aspects

Shirt

I do find it interesting how there's a core of IFAA/NFAS who seem perfectly happy to slate AGB for whatever perceived faults it has, but there's no equivalent core of AGB members who want to repeatedly yell into the void how IFAA shoots take three years to finish because there are so many arrows and how it's far too much hassle to set out all the pegs and the rules are so prescriptive, or how NFAS members haven't evolved to the point of using sights yet because they always get confused which way to move it...

Strange that. You'd expect to see more random slating of other organisations coming from the AGB archers. But you don't. Wonder why?

Reactions: mk1

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Just calculated my current cost/day shooting for archery AGB and club membership. 37p/day; not unhappy with that :) As an AGB archer I have absolutely no problem with other association members enjoying their archery in whatever form, club, association they wish to partake. All archery is good archery :)

Minotaur

Lance Armstrong became a multi-millionaire by cycling so how does someone do that in Archery?
Cycling still has a massive drug problem because there is so much money on the line. Cycling has also embraced change as you only have to look at how the bikes have changed in the last 20 years. That is not even getting into the way British Cycling has changed the way everyone should look at their sport.
I am willing to bet that if asked almost everyone joining archery in the UK is not doing it because of the Olympics. I bet Hunger Games, Arrow and Marvel's Hawkeye have done more to promote archery than a single British archer who I cannot name and I watch the Olympics. I can tell you the tab I am going to buy is designed by Brady Ellison. My point is I have no idea who the current British Olympic team are however I can name one of the USA team members and have watched YouTube videos of some of the Koreans.
As someone new to the sport, I am getting my information from my future club which while very good has left my stuck in a how much should I spend and Youtube which has one Brit and lots of Australia and Americans. The best training resource I have found is by a US Compound Archer.
Point me in the direction of archery books? There are hundreds of cycling and judo books.
Were are the explanations of why I should spend £700 on a Hoyt Prodigy RX vs £70 for Core Gonexo Recurve Riser? I have cycled from London to Paris on a £300 bike. There is a lot of info out there telling me about those cheap bikes and which one is the best deal. No one expects a beginner cyclist to buy a Pinarello Dogma. You know what the advice to all cyclists is? Cycle, the best way to get better is to do it. I am not Brady Wiggins however if you are buying a bike I can explain what is what and get you on a bike cycling.
My point, sort of, is what are you all doing to get people doing archery?