Archery GB Rule Changes

Apologies if this has been covered previously, but I see from the latest Archery UK magazine (I haven’t seen any previous mention and that is probably my fault) that various rounds have been renamed as “naming of the rounds has caused some archers embarrassment”. I can see the logic in “all xxx V rounds” starting at 30 yards, but “embarrassment”? And why keep York, Hereford and Bristol as separate names?

Am I missing something here?
Maybe. When I started archery a decade or so ago, there were a few of the old buffoons in the club who would sneer at an adult shooting a 'junior' round. On round days, there would never be a junior round for adults - and younger juniors were expected to shoot junior rounds.

It's never bothered me though, but some newer members got caught up in this.

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I must admit, injuries have kept me from shooting more than 40 yards for about 2 years now, and yes, it is faintly embarrassing on a club night to be shooting what is termed a junior round, in company with the newbies, when everyone else is shooting what they call a 'proper' distance.

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter
I must admit, injuries have kept me from shooting more than 40 yards for about 2 years now, and yes, it is faintly embarrassing on a club night to be shooting what is termed a junior round, in company with the newbies, when everyone else is shooting what they call a 'proper' distance.
They all shoot indoor 18m, so why feel embarrassed when shooting 40 yards outdoors?
I'm sure that the members who know of your situation would be supportive and understanding, the new members I am sure would feel grateful to be shooting alongside someone with more experience. 😊

AJBrady

But would you feel any less embarrassed shooting at 40 yards if you wrote Warwick IV in your scorebook rather than Junior Warwick, for example?

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
A bit less embarrassed, yes. No one ever said my psychology was sensible.
And yes, my club is extremely supportive and understanding, including the older members, but it would still be nice to not be classed with the juniors.
As for the newbies, yes, I like them, they're mostly lovely, but I don't want to be (and am not qualified to be) a coach on the archery field and that's what ends up happening if I shoot with them. It's very hard to concentrate on my own form (which I really need to do right now), when I'm being asked questions all the time.