Archery hats when shooting Recurve?

Mistake

Ironman
So now that I've shot my one and only archery competition for the 2017/2018 indoor season I'm back to thinking about my outdoor shooting.

Does anyone have recommendations for hats for outdoor shooting?

Not a baseball cap, I already know I can't shoot in one of those without the string hitting the peak.

Thanks

I prefer a bucket hat - the rim is soft enough to crumple under the string, or you can fold it back at the front. I went for a waxed cotton one for waterproofness myself, but other models are available

fbirder

If you like baseball caps then you'll love Buff Caps - http://www.buffwear.co.uk/buff-adult-headwear/uv-cap-buff

Yes, they are ridiculously expensive, but they can be had for around ?20 each.

They look like normal low-profile baseball caps. They do an excellent job of keeping the sun out of your eyes. But the peak is completely flexible. That means that you can fold the cap up and put it in a pocket or quiver. It also means that the string will just push it back causing virtually no hindrance to your shooting.

I have Buff caps I bought 5 years ago that spend most of their lives in a bag or a pocket. Yet they look good as new when I pop them on my head.

Try one - you won't be disappointed.

Mistake

Ironman
these are gaining popularity for some reason:

Do those actually do anything other than look rather dapper?

Its about trying to keep some consistent lighting on my eyes/ also keep rain out of them

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

ben tarrow

Do those actually do anything other than look rather dapper?

Its about trying to keep some consistent lighting on my eyes/ also keep rain out of them

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
When you're as good looking as Patrick (and me) dapper is what its all about.
A flat cap will keep the rain off your head and keep your head warm, giving an enhanced feeling of comfort. Nothing worse than rain trickling down your scalp.
I wear mine a bit lower at the front and it seems to keep the rain out of my eyes. Not sure about the sun, can't remember the last time I shot into the sun

Valkamai

I would have thought something like this would suit you Mr badger

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
On very hot days (e.g. 17-18 Jun last year in Cambridge/Netherhall, 30C+) I find it's good to soak your hat in icy water. Personal a/c. Bucket hats can do this. Maybe PH has a cool head already?

jerryRTD

Come to the dark side, we have cookies and we can wear really cool hats

Last edited:

Mrrikki

I'm with Jerry, although when I coach recurve I always make an idiot of myself when I forget to take my baseball cap off before a demo!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk

archeryal

Do you actually wear baseball caps in England. I'm shocked. You either have to tip it back or to the side to make it work for recurve. One of the Korean women used a visor with what looked like a bite taken out of the brim to accommodate that string.

I teach archery outdoors all summer in New (not old) England. I use a khaki bucket hat with safari-type neck drape (which folds inside the hat when not needed). Some sporting goods shops carry them in the U.S., and I also got one on e-bay. They have a high SPF protection factor and a bit of rain protection. I've had some with a soft fairly short brim/bill and neck drape, which are hard to find. Generally, these are used for kayaking, etc.

We haven't had much sun so far this spring (did you see the Boston Marathon?), but generally have a lot of sun and at least a few days in the 90 degree range during the summer. These qualities may not be in demand in GB.