Archery & Parkinson's Disease

modernlongbow

For months I have suspected that there was something going on besides Apalutamide and its side effects. I am quite comfortable with the dual diagnosis. My cancer is incurable, but manageable. The sooner I'm on L'dopa the better. Eric Walker used to bisect the tremor and score well. I hope I don't embarrass Zone 1 at the 55+BC Games this September.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
It can be done - the focus on muscle memory and repeated movement promotes a calming attitude. Hopefully you'll experience positive results, with a little experimentation. Best Wishes

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have MS.
you need to accept that area aiming rather than point aiming may serve you better. Concentrate on the realease rather than worrying too much about a pinpoint aim and then hurrying the shot. Go with the wobble rather than try and fight it and then twitch because your muscles have anticiapated the shot.
My group size doesnt really vary with bowstyle, just how many go in the centre of the group compared to the extremities.

fwm891

AIUK Saviour
Agree with little-else here. I have lymphoma which is being managed. I also have a shaky right hand which gets painful when holding a recurve at full draw. I've now switched to a compound and moved away from recurve entirely. I'm having to accept that the aim is not at all steady and provided I can keep firm against the 'wall' I can loose when the movements take me across the red/gold area and hope for the best. Some ends good some not so...

modernlongbow

Update :: I don't have Parkinson disease, I have Parkinsonism, an umbrella term for those who have some symptoms, but not others. The neurologist sent me for an MRI and adjusted my meds. The tremors that the disease is notorious for have yet to start.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
[QUOTE="Rabid Hamster"
Draw, Aim, Shoot, Swear, Repeat.
[/QUOTE]
My summer archery tee shirt has that printed on it.

I agree that that disease is a terrible thing to have to live with - my poor old dad had it and it was really sad to see him decline. I wish anyone with it all the luck in the world.