Archery Rediscovered!

English Bowman

The top olympic recurvers don't even figure in any top archers list I would recognise. Now - when you're talking about the gods of NFAS field - well, that's a whole nother thing. I've had the privilege of shooting round with some modern legends and consider myself lucky. Sometimes you only realise how very very good they are when you shoot the same course on the same peg and get your 280fps compound a**e kicked by a man with a stick. That's the day to sit back, smile and just admire.
I agree with your sentiment, but some of our top Olympic archers are also field archers. Naomi Folkard and Patrick Huston are both active field archers, and Olympians. One thing that I'd like to see happen is some of the gods of NFAS come and shoot GNAS and vice virsa. I'd love to see a tournament open to all archers and less division.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I'd love to see a tournament open to all archers and less division.
Are archers banned from shooting both styles, or is it just personal choice?
Or am I not reading your post correctly? Are you imagining a tournament that includes a field element and target element on the same day, same location?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I'd love to see a tournament open to all archers and less division.
Or am I not reading your post correctly? Are you imagining a tournament that includes a field element and target element on the same day, same location?

Aleatorian

I think the reference is the NFAS/GNAS divide, not the field/target split. As English Bowman said there are quite a few elite target archers that also do field to a high standard also.

For me, I've started to do this also and have found my Target scores have improved greatly because of it

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers Aleatorian, I foolow that now.
I think shooting target all the time can lead to a slow creeping into habits that go undetected. We, in a way, deaden our sensitivity to what is happening. A coach might spot these failings, but I feel it is possible to do some self help, by changing from the routine and shooting something different.
Changes do not need to be costly or dramatic. Remove the sight or stabs or use a different style of bow( borrow for a short period) Shoot at home made target faces... beer mats or post cards, anything that won't hurt the arrows.Put the boss on the ground resting against the stand; shoot clout if possible.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers Aleatorian, I foolow that now.
I think shooting target all the time can lead to a slow creeping into habits that go undetected. We, in a way, deaden our sensitivity to what is happening. A coach might spot these failings, but I feel it is possible to do some self help, by changing from the routine and shooting something different.
Changes do not need to be costly or dramatic. Remove the sight or stabs or use a different style of bow( borrow for a short period) Shoot at home made target faces... beer mats or post cards, anything that won't hurt the arrows.Put the boss on the ground resting against the stand; shoot clout if possible.

AndyW

I agree with your sentiment, but some of our top Olympic archers are also field archers. Naomi Folkard and Patrick Huston are both active field archers, and Olympians. One thing that I'd like to see happen is some of the gods of NFAS come and shoot GNAS and vice virsa. I'd love to see a tournament open to all archers and less division.
If there's a higher power in the firmament I will live to see / compete in it.
The comment wasn't meant as derisory just a personal view. A lot are multi society but it tends to be NFAS / EFAA so as they can go to the WBHC and EBHC etc. EFAA membership gives you affiliation for the internationals for ?20 a year. Taking nothing away from anyone it's not for me - I've no interest in shooting away from the UK and that's the view the NFAS is based on. If the day ever comes when I win the nationals and 3D champs a couple of years running then maybe but I can't even beat my little brother yet on a regular basis.
A UK all comers field comp. bring it on.