Arrow Backstop netting

Sargan

I am setting up a home target for practise ... I can use a safe location, but want to include a 'backstop net' behind target ... as there is a brick wall (8m x 6m behind target) .... so no problem on safety if I miss .. wall would stop arrow - but not very gently.

I could arrange to have a hanging net for example 200mm in front of wall.

My question is had anybody used anything other than an official backstop net - which is too expensive for home use.

Has anybody come up with easily handleable alternative .... one thought is Site Debris Netting ... this is the fabric they attach to outside of scaffolding to prevent debris coming down form on high ... eg

ZEBEL 1m X 50m Green Scaffold Debris Garden Safety Net Fence Protection Netting | eBay

Sargan

Thinking that 2 hanging layers of Debris netting may do the job ...the fact that they hang loose in folds is where energy is stopped.
I'm only intending Recurve and standard target points.

BillM

I erected some debris netting behind one of the targets at the field course due to the presence of rock. It is four fold and stops arrows from low poundage bows, either by absorbing the energy or by catching the fletches when the arrow penetrates. Arrows from stronger bows just pass through but as these guys usually have sights, they have to live with the consequences of missing a 120cm boss from 45m (the rock normally wins). I would suggest you try in an open space before you trust it in front of a wall. Also 200mm is not enough as an arrow shot from something more than about 35lb will send the netting back roughly 0.5m - discovered by experience when the goal posts were not removed from behind the backstop netting in the sportshall and the 300mm gap was not enough.

BillM

Sargan

OK ... thanks for that will need to rethink my backdrop then. If I can't get deeper spacing, then have to look at Option B - which is a hanging carpet - just didn't want to make place look like Pikeys had moved in.

Breva750

I have heard that trampoline netting is just the thing! I don't have space to practice at home, so have not tried it though.....

BillM

Carpet and trampoline material also do not work. I tried carpet hung in front of my steel garage door and a test arrow simply passed through and was stopped by the door. I've also made protectors out of an old trampoline base to stop faces being blown off at the 2 exposed targets at Inverawe and arrows penetrate as there is no flex. They are slung over the canopy and any arrows that are 'letter boxed' go into the stiff material. The best solution is purpose made backstop netting hung loose which will stop most arrows, but not all, or just a clear overshoot.

BillM

Sargan

As per OP looking for a diy alternative.
In a post on a US forum they. Used cover tarpaulins from gain trucks.
Having been in forces, maybe canvas of a 4 Ton truck hung loose would work ... same material used in the 9x9 tents.
Seriously industrial canvas.
With advantage for archery it comes in olive green :)

SteveBabyface

Most back stop netting will not stop an arrow from a high poundage bow from passing through it. The secondary purpose is to stop the arrow bouncing back from whatever it hits and damaging the archer. My suggestion would be to shoot up close and learn not to miss. Once you have that sorted, move a little further back. If in doubt let the arrow down.

The great thing about a brick wall back stop is that once you miss a couple of times you don't want to do it again.

bolerus

not tried it of course, but, based on the fact that its not the material itself that stops an arrow, ( if you string backstop netting tight, and arrow will go through)

that builders stuff is 1 mtr by 50m, if you had it hanging loose and a few layers of it with gaps in between it would probably work,

but its only 1mt ( 3 foot ish) wide, so you would need to haev 2 or 3 levels of it ( remember it needs to hang loose)

I would imagine it could be done, but probably quite a lot of work / expensive to build a frame that would work properly.

a couple of old duvets and covers would probably work just as well, I used to use a target made of a cardboard box, with an old duvet rolled up, inside, and that used to stop my arrows fine ( even at as little as 10 yards from a 36lb bow) its more about slowing the arrow ( removing kinetic energy, just so i sound clever) down rather than stopping it from pentrating if you know what I mean.

Carpet is a pretty rubbish arrow stop, because you cant get it to be loose, its just a softer wall, and arrows like soft walls.....they dont like brick walls as much.

200 mm isnt enough ( you need at least an arrows length between the last layer and the hard thing), but if you had a loose sheet, 50mm gap, loose sheet, 50mm gap, loose sheet, 50mm gap, loose sheet it might be

only way to find out really, is make a temporary "Stop" put it in front of your target and try to shoot through it

P.S

When I am shooting in my backyard, behind my target i put an old memory foam matress ( those things are great) and over the window i have a chipboard thing that i put up, leaning loosely against some washing line ( so it just bounces if you tap it).

My daughter once hit the board and it bounced a bit, and both the window and the arrow were unharmed ( and because the board was leaning forward at teh top, the arrow bounced almost straight down)

hening

Are you refering to the "safety net" around a trampoline or the trampoline itself? The latter might work, competition grade trampolines have what looks like kevlar . but that will cost more than a net. Our nets cost something like a grand to replace
hening

I have heard that trampoline netting is just the thing! I don't have space to practice at home, so have not tried it though.....

KidCurry

ERA Heavy Duty Backstop Netting 2.7m x 8m is about ?125. You could always cut it in half at 2.7m x 4m and hang it double with at least 300mm gap between layers. Closest layer to the wall should be away from the wall by at least 500mm. I guess it all depends on your budget. Plus you have to hang the stuff.