Arrow choice dilemma.

AGordon

I shoot compound, I shoot a slightly stiff 450 spine and it works well for me, I can’t go higher on the draw weight as my shoulder won’t allow it. My question is around fat arrows for indoor.

As 450 max diameter Carbon arrows seem unavailable should I...

shoot super stiff 400s
Super weak 500
Reduce draw weight to Match the 500’s
Shoot skinnies
Shoot aluminium (fed up denting shafts though, hence the question)
Other??

thank you.

Bandit

Shoot 2315 ali's and adjust the length accordingly for your draw weight. I'm not convinced it matters that much with a compound as long at they are not weak. Shoot three spots and avoid dents

AGordon

Thanks for the input, dents tend to be at comps, I do shoot 3 spot generally, but last winter I shared a face with another detail so some casualties, they aren’t expensive, it was just a pain having to buy make and destroy. They were 2312 though so much more prone to dents I suspect. Archers advantage has 2315 as very stiff at 32” (usual length 29.5) 2314 at 32” are ok though.

Bandit

Thanks for the input, dents tend to be at comps, I do shoot 3 spot generally, but last winter I shared a face with another detail so some casualties, they aren’t expensive, it was just a pain having to buy make and destroy. They were 2312 though so much more prone to dents I suspect. Archers advantage has 2315 as very stiff at 32” (usual length 29.5) 2314 at 32” are ok though.
Try a few different spines indoor, I doubt you will notice any difference in your scores. You could add some heavy points too. Can't see a way round smashing arrows up indoors. That's just how it is.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Just had a play, 32” 400 fatboy arrows would work would the extra length matter at all?
As Bandit says, you can't shoot too stiff an arrow with compound. Only down side is they get heavier and indoors this is not a problem. Longer arrows also help stability in the short distance you have to settle them. And heavy points also help. Single spot is really the only way to go :)

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
If your denting ali's, your liable to smash carbons.... I would stick with the cheaper ali arrows... and they tune easier.

modernlongbow

I, too, used to shoot beer cans ( aluminum), but have switched to carbon, because an arrow shaft should be only a delivery mechanism for the point. The lighter the shaft, the better. I now shoot the largest diameter shaft World Archery allows, 23/64" or 9mm. They get downrange with obscene haste. Wilderness Archery asked what kind of vanes they should fletch my arrows with, and I told them I would fletch them myself, with 4" feathers. After all, they're going to be launched off the shelf of a 50# AFB.

Lammas

As 450 max diameter Carbon arrows seem unavailable should I...
I do actually shoot 450 spine VAPs on my hunting compound (3D).
And actually, shaft spine number is not everything. The longer the arrow and the heavier the tip, the stiffer the shaft needs to be.
Still have my old target compound with max. 50lbs for training, and shoot 500 spined arrows without problem.

Aleatorian

@AGordon Pick an arrow and shoot it.

My Current indoor arrows are CX X Buster 350, these are a 0.323 spine, with a 200 grain point and 4" Zen Vanes @ 29"

For my Specs, 59.5# DW and 28.25" DL these come out "Marginally Stiff" on AA. Spoke with a fellow archer who shoots 52# 28.5" with 29" XB 350s with a 180 grain point, AA will put them SUPER stiff and they shoot 580+ scores on a WA18.

I have also shot my friends GT Nine.3 Max Pro, these are a 0.250 spine, with 150 grain point and 4" Zen Vanes @ 29". These scored the same as my arrows, once i got a sight mark (lighter arrow). Spine isn't so much of an issue for indoor.