Arrow Holder Foam Blocks DIY?

Arrowcam

Hey guys! Has anyone had any experience making their own arrow holders out of foam? I'm thinking of trying it myself, can get the foam from here for relatively cheap (with a bit extra for practice), however if you've got any tips it would be greatly appreciated before I go butchering the lot, Thanks in advance :D

Cam

Tim_Archer

I've not even thought of using foam for an arrow holder. I've always just drilled holes in a bit of scrap wood I have lying around :)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
If the foam is pretty rigid stuff, a good way to cut round holes is with an arrow shaft. An old broken piece with a sharp edge round the rim can be twisted through the foam like an apple corer. Then cut the slot to press the arrows down into the hole . If you cut the slot first the corer idea doesn't work so well.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
If the foam is pretty rigid stuff, a good way to cut round holes is with an arrow shaft. An old broken piece with a sharp edge round the rim can be twisted through the foam like an apple corer. Then cut the slot to press the arrows down into the hole . If you cut the slot first the corer idea doesn't work so well.
That is a good tip Geoff

Stevec1960

Somewhere on Youtube is a video showing how to make a bow limb quiver from a pair of cheap flip-flops - I've made one and it works quite well. For that I just used an ordinary battery drill to make the holes. You may be able to modify that idea to make your arrow holder.

ben tarrow

One of our members turned up this morning with an arrow holder that fits inside an arrow tube which he'd printed on his 3d printer.
I'll see if I can get some photos.
Being made of plastic, the arrows are quite a snug fit, so I guess you'd have to customize the design to the arrow diameter, but it really was pretty good.

ben tarrow

One of our members turned up this morning with an arrow holder that fits inside an arrow tube which he'd printed on his 3d printer.
I'll see if I can get some photos.
Being made of plastic, the arrows are quite a snug fit, so I guess you'd have to customize the design to the arrow diameter, but it really was pretty good.

modernlongbow

As a retired consumer electronic repair technician, I didn't hesitate to make the holes in my foam holder by melting them in with my solder station. Clean the goo off the iron with a damp shop cloth before turning the solder station off. The crusty edge on the hole does a good job cleaning the arrows when I put them back in the quiver.

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have just purchased, on ebay, 10 round eva foam arrow holders from China for £4.00. I don't mind the wait at that price, and of course I can be doing something else instead of making them!

Emmadragon

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I work in a place where we receive an awful lot of packing on a daily basis, so I just cut a round piece out of upholstery weight foam about 2 inches thick with an ordinary pair of dressmaking shears, drawing round the lid of the arrow tube, and used some pointy thread scissors to start holes off in it, which I then continued with a sharp arrow. It works a treat at keeping my arrows tidy in the arrow tube, and I cut a larger hole in the middle to hold the long rod.

Corax67

Made something for one of our club members by heating an old Ali with a spirit burner and melting through some 4” deep high density foam we get as sacrificial packaging in work. Really clean holes and her arrows now sit really nicely in an art tube.

A saddler friend of mine has made me some lovely punched leather spacers for a traditional arrow bag that I’m having made and a pair of custom shaped ones that I’ve fitted into my side quiver

Karl