Arrow quandary

C

Compound10

So here's my quandary ... in past years I have run two sets of arrows, some Protours and some Cartel Triples. The triples mainly for when the only target option is straw. This is a bit of a pain because it means I have to run two sets of metric and two sets of imperial sight marks.

My triples are now too short for my new bow and so I have the quandary ...

1. Do I just run the Pro-tours and risk them on the straw
2. Do I sell all my existing arrows and get a new set of triples - accept they can be used on everything and they aren't the best arrow in the world
3. Man up and buy a new set of straw arrows? If so what should they be - I would say carbon 1s but then some of the places that only have straw also have a no carbon only rule....

I know this is a bot #middleclassquandary but I would be interested in your views..

M

Moose

Why not try the profield arrows slightly more than ace but cheaper than protours slightly lighter at 7.5 gpi

Courtesy of iMoose

Bald Eagle

I've just got new AC PRO FIELD from an archey shop and am very happy with them, they are 60 gns lighter than my Nav FMJ's which I will shoot into straw and shoot the Pro Fields into foam

C

Compound10

No point shooting pro tours into straw if they break if they hit the a frame. Pointless really. I would suggest pro field are similar and if tuned for 50m aren't going to be great at 90m.

Thought about ACGs buti guess triples edge them.

Exarcher

So here's my quandary ... in past years I have run two sets of arrows, some Protours and some Cartel Triples. The triples mainly for when the only target option is straw. This is a bit of a pain because it means I have to run two sets of metric and two sets of imperial sight marks.

My triples are now too short for my new bow and so I have the quandary ...

1. Do I just run the Pro-tours and risk them on the straw
2. Do I sell all my existing arrows and get a new set of triples - accept they can be used on everything and they aren't the best arrow in the world
3. Man up and buy a new set of straw arrows? If so what should they be - I would say carbon 1s but then some of the places that only have straw also have a no carbon only rule....

I know this is a bot #middleclassquandary but I would be interested in your views..
I'm not sure what spine you're shooting but I shoot my 420 ProTours and 430 Navigators off virtually the same sight marks (within 0.5mm @ 70m). Both arrows same length and with 120g up front..... I realise the ACG is a fraction heavier, but there will not be a lot in it.... I've not had the chance to try Carbon Ones yet but would do if I hadn't got my Nav's

G

GuardianAngel

As you know, I have C1's for wheat based targets, leaving Protours for polydispersed type butts.

I would ask how many wheat vs. polydisperse shoots you are doing. If its just a couple of wheatabix ones then go cheap i.e. C1's.

C

Compound10

Yeah anything WRS or Fia star I expect to be foam. Just Allungton and Sussex I expect cereal.

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
ben_e71 said:
Sounds like triples only may be the way to go
I've got 10 ACE 430s you can have cheap - one and a half season's recurve use.

EDIT: cheaper than new, obv ;-)

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
and if they're Lunkshooters, they'll be long enough to cut all the worn stuff off when making them your DL!!

LunkShooter

Supporter
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
I was thinking of keeping them as Field arrows whenever the time came, but even if I can cut 2" of the rear of them, they still won't be stiff enough. Will need 400s for CE and 370s for a bow like the Freak or M8 - all with 3" off the back...