[Horsebow] Arrow rest for horse bow ?

airborne09

I am fairly new to Archery / bows etc so will be asking a few questions , One that is puzzling me is why do most horse bows not have arrow rests ?
And would a horse bow benefit by attaching one ?

Stevec1960

Horse bows are designed without a shelf to be shot directly off the hand and are ambidexterous so can be shot either left or right handed. Make sure you use a glove, feather fletchings can give a nasty cut!

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
If you are having one custom made, check out the Ghillie Dhu from Border. They offer a shelf option.

jonUK76

There's also the Ragim Taiga which I guess is going to be more of a budget option (you can pick one up for under ?100,) but has a shelf also. You could I suppose fit a stick on arrow rest to one of these bows, but they're designed to be shot off the shelf.

Horse bows are mostly though based on centuries old designs, be it Scythian, Mongol, Turkish, Korean or whatever. and hence no arrow rest. You won't find an English Longbow with an arrow rest either. They just predate the concept.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I *believe* that in competition, it would be permissible to shoot off the hand or off the shelf, but not with an arrow rest.

woodsplitter

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Horse bows are designed without a shelf to be shot directly off the hand and are ambidexterous so can be shot either left or right handed. Make sure you use a glove, feather fletchings can give a nasty cut!
If the feathers are cutting your hand then either your hand is too far up the bow or the arrow is too far down the string.

English Bowman

That depends on the society that you are shooting in, and the category that you are entering as. In AGB you could enter field as Trad with wooden arrows, or target or field as barebow with any arrows and use an arrow rest in both styles