Arrow rests

seanplod

I have an issue
I have set up my new bow and I am 99% sure that I have set the nocking point exactly where it should be, The arrows line up with the setting lines which have been placed on the bow, so why have I run out out up adjustment ? it is screwed right up to the top?? oddly I had the same issue with my last bow . The rest is a Spot hog infinity. I tried a fixed spring rest but my arrows would periodically hit the rest making a terrible twang noise. I set this rest up perfectly and it was shooting really well in the garden . I went to our club range and it was hitting the rest every time. I made some adjustments, which alleviated this for a short time and then it started twanging again , however the arrows were grouping quite well. I am getting a couple of different spined arrows coming next week to shoot just to see if it is the spine of the arrows I have.

I have tightened everything down so nothing should be moving , have had so much trouble trying to tune in this new bow but it shoots so nice when everything works

Shirt

Are your nocks turning, which would cause fletching contact? Do some contact testing (spray the back of an arrow with foot powder, see where the marks are) and you might end up needing to realign them.

seanplod

So where is the nocking point in regards to the berger hole?
Well this is the thing , the bow has two parallel lines which I assumed were the setting lines, like on my PSE. So when aligned with these and set my nocking point accordingly, the arrows sit above the burger hole. So today I have started from scratch reset my nocking point and re did my d loop etc.... so the the arrows pass dead centre of the burger hole now.

I have just shot a dozen or so arrows and no more pinging , so far , grouping not too bad but as I shot a frostbite x 2 this morning my muscle are a little tired so holding aim was a struggle. So maybe tomorrow when rested I will shoot another couple of dozen and hope it has been fixed.

I did think of another thing while shooting this morning which is a little complex in its explanation. So is was thinking about the physics involved and came to a possible solution as to why shooting at a very short distance was fine but as soon as the distance increased the issues started and I came up with this .

So short distance very flat trajectory bow very level , increase the distance , sights go down , bow increases ist angle upwards to account for the new trajectory , therefore arrows were at a more inclined angle when shot causing them the strike the rest. However, now I have reset my nocking point the elevation increase will not be quite so severe, given that the nocking point was possibly too high the start with. Possibly overthinking this now lol !!!!!

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
So short distance very flat trajectory bow very level , increase the distance , sights go down , bow increases ist angle upwards to account for the new trajectory , therefore arrows were at a more inclined angle when shot causing them the strike the rest. However, now I have reset my nocking point the elevation increase will not be quite so severe, given that the nocking point was possibly too high the start with. Possibly overthinking this now lol !!!!!
Well yes and no :) The cam timing controls the nock travel. The bow doesn't care if you shoot flat, down or up hill in this regard. If you increase elevation with just the bow arm but still pull horizontal with the release hand the nock travel will still be straight but you will change the bow hand pressure on the grip. This may effect the bow on release and effect clearance. To shoot higher elevations you need to tilt the whole body top unit tilting from the waist. This will maintain draw and release alignment.

Last edited:

jerryRTD

You
Well this is the thing , the bow has two parallel lines which I assumed were the setting lines, like on my PSE. So when aligned with these and set my nocking point accordingly, the arrows sit above the burger hole. So today I have started from scratch reset my nocking point and re did my d loop etc.... so the the arrows pass dead centre of the burger hole now.

I have just shot a dozen or so arrows and no more pinging , so far , grouping not too bad but as I shot a frostbite x 2 this morning my muscle are a little tired so holding aim was a struggle. So maybe tomorrow when rested I will shoot another couple of dozen and hope it has been fixed.

I did think of another thing while shooting this morning which is a little complex in its explanation. So is was thinking about the physics involved and came to a possible solution as to why shooting at a very short distance was fine but as soon as the distance increased the issues started and I came up with this .

You have to realise that marks on the riser are very nearly useless. If you want to find out what the arrow is doing then you need to shoot through paper. Get a reasonable tear and go from there