Arrow speed

Whitehart

Yesterday at the club playing with a Chrono produced some interesting results comparing the arrow speed of 3 types of arrows - luckily had one archer with 3 sets of well matched arrows to the bow using W&W MXT limbs around 44lb Foam Medium) on the fingers with good groups at 80 yards

Skylon Preminens 218fps
Easton ACE 209fps
X10 204fps

Another archer shooting a BMG riser and 20+ year old Sky Conquest carbon limbs 39lb on the fingers X10's 200fps.

Speed measured - about 6" in front of the longrod.

In the past we used to get arrow speeds flash up during international H2H but these are no longer displayed wondering whether there is some data out there especially given archers like Nespoli are shooting 50lb +. You can get some idea of draw weight/speed etc by looking at the elevation of the sight pin.

I know it is not all about speed but the preminens advantage over the ACE was a surprise, it was very windy yesterday yet the lighter Preminens also provided better scores/groups in the gold/red at 80 yards than the heavier X10's.

ACE used to be the go to reliable field arrow now it looks like things are changing and they are cheaper too.

Finally is the requirement of many target clubs in the UK insisting on archers not shooting all carbon shafts having an effect or are clubs re adjusting?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
A lot of clubs are still banning all carbon arrows. And getting hold of Skylon at a reasonable price, with all the components has become a bit of a nightmare.
I'm also interested in the durability of all carbon shafts.

Whitehart

TT consider the Paragon which is available a bit cheaper but in the real world having shot these its hard to tell the difference more in the head than on the boss. Although these are becoming scarce as well due to demand

Last edited:

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Thanks W - I did finally get my hands on some after 12 weeks of waiting.

Stretch

My interpretation of that data is that the archer may have a decent tune with all 3 sets but has a better tune with the Skylon. I haven’t chrono’d but I see pretty much the same sight gaps between X10s and Paragons (both 450 but Paragon with a heavier point so they weigh almost the same). Or the Skylon is a lot lighter in actual weight (or maybe the ACE is too light which certainly can happen).

X10 you need to measure the retained speed out past 50m.

Wasn’t the BMG a shorter riser (24.5“ or something odd?) but SkyJacks were quick… especially the bamboo core ones.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Paragon is a very good value arrow. My set are not very straight but it doesn’t appear to affect grouping (very reminiscent of Beman Divas in that respect). I can’t speak to the Preminens.

The speed readings at WA events were taken so far in front of the archer it did not translate to actual “at bow” arrow speeds… it was also very unreliable. I hadn’t notice they’d gone if I am honest :p

Stretch

inthemiddle

The club I now shoot for base arrows choice on ability. Carbons are fine if you don't miss much at longer distances, so I've ordered some Skylon Paragons to see what all the fuss is about.

mf78

I would adjust the bow weight to get a perfect bare shaft tune with each set of arrows and then record the individual speeds. Quite time consuming, but the only real way to get a true comparison. However at the end of the day, you use whatever groups the best :)

4d4m

Without an accurate mass of each arrow the data tells us very little.

Good that you measured speeds far enough in front of the bow so that the nocks would have left the string. One pitfall is trying to measure too close so the point trips the first sensor before the arrow has finished accelerating.