Arrows for field

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Another cracking tournament yesterday near Brixham. I’ve sussed close range now (all 24s) and good on long range (where I use my precious ACGs) but definitely struggling on the medium range stuff; 25-45 yards. But that’ll hopefully improve with experience.
My son shot well too in stunning surroundings with a lovely bunch of people.

I totalled one arrow and knocked vanes off two others; all XX75 Genesis. The remains few are looking tired too. Should I just get more (six I think) or are the Platinum Plus any better? They need to be fairly cheap as they get hammered! Or any other brands? This is shooting off a 52lb compound.

Thanks all!

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I use FMJs for field shooting as I find them way more robust than the others. I fletch them with bohning impulse vanes that are also extremely robust. They will break, but they will put up with an awful lot before they do.

Having said that, it's my opinion that platinum pluses are really good at hitting the sweet spot between price, quality and robustness.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Okay another silly question - I've bought my arrows pre-made in the past. XX75s and ACGs. I now need to specify the weight of my points. ACGs points seem to state 100-120g (slightly vague) from the place I bought them. No weight given for the XX75s.
I'm thinking 100g to "match" the ACGs for carbon arrows - is that about right? I'll get screw ins so if I have made an error, I can easily change them!

AndyW

Hi Kernowlad - that's great as you've now opened it up.
100gn screw ins are a great idea, i would suggest tophat points as they have a lock ring which stops them unscrewing and are made of SS so no nasty rust, like with other combo points etc.
As for arrows, you're going to tighten that 20 - 50 yrd stuff up by going to all Cs. I've had a quick look and ACGs @ 430 are 8.9gpi. Powerflight are ok and will lose you some weight at 8.4. Shaving more weight off for 400 spine will get you to Lightspeeds / GT velocity at 7.4 and for out and out speed you're down to Black Eagle Carnivores at 6.8 - others are out there these are just what I have at the minute (except powerflights). All of the above I've found hold up well as regards knocks and bumps.
If you're shooting NFAS keep to whichever puts you closest but under 300fps. Lighter arrows are going to drop off more on the occasional long shot, but in general you will find it will minimise the effect of estimation errors and nick you a few points or avoid dropping under.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Gone for the Powerflights - fingers crossed they work okay.
I would use my ACGs for everything but they definitely get far more hammered on short range shots and a £25 arrow is painful to lose/break!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Arrrghhh - tried them and the nocks are too narrow for my string!
Apparently they are Easton Super nocks - but my spare nocks (which fit the string fine) are no good as they're too small (diameter) for the arrow shafts.

So who makes "fat" nocks with wide grooves?!?

AndyW

For powerflights I find GT nocks are about the best. They come in nice colours. If they don't fit your string i'll buy them off you as I'm always ordering them. Clear Orange for preference - very visible on targets and wood ;)

AndyW

P.S. If you drop me a pm with your address I will send you a few different types and you can make your own mind up. Or if you don't mind what you shoot I've probably got a dozen hanging around which will be fine. Bohning double click or similar.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Oh darn I read this too late! I was advised by the shop to order Beiter 19/2 hunter nocks so got some of them on the way. If they don’t work, I’ll go for your recommendation!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Just read the second message; that’s very kind - thanks! I’ll try the Beiters and if I get nowhere, I’ll whizz you a message.
It’s odd as the nock on my others are fine; these are just a bit narrow near the back of the nock.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Next minor issue - the points are screw ins and so not 100% flush. So they won't pull out of my Mybo target bag without almost wrecking it!
Luckily I have an old foam boss.
They seem to go pretty well and I've been able to experiment with nocks which is very handy indeed.

Overall, a good choice I think!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
First proper shoot with them today at the club's woods; I got on really well with them. I'm having to adjust my sight marks a wee bit as they fly further than the XX75s (similar to the ACGs but I suspect that would change beyond 50 yards) but all good with plenty of 20s and 24s.

AndyW

That's great. I tend to manage the odd 24 and rarely get to the plenty. Managed a first arrow shoot once or twice but generally only tend normally 1 or 2 second arrows. I've even managed a blank. Any second arrows you're gonna admit to?