Arrows for field

AndyW

A lot of field courses don't like carbons because of the way they can break up.
Maybe it's a throwback to years gone by when they could splinter horribly. The original Beman carbons were pretty deadly when they splintered. Modern decent carbons are not the same animal ( I put the caveat in to eliminate the cheap pultruded arrows or converted tent poles people really ought to know better than to buy ).
It's not an issue on NFAS field courses and you tend to only see kids/beginners shooting Allies, there's the odd person who shoots them but I would go with 90+% are either wood or carbon as a rough guess and I've not known a problem with them.
On one shoot hosted by Liberty archers we even shoot at a steel target (Robodeer) where anything except the kill zone will shatter your arrow - you just pick the busted arrow up and stick it in the top of the boss to be collected later, no issues - just great fun, everyone takes a couple of cr*p arrows knowing they're likely to be destroyed.

Kernowlad

That's great. I tend to manage the odd 24 and rarely get to the plenty. Managed a first arrow shoot once or twice but generally only tend normally 1 or 2 second arrows. I've even managed a blank. Any second arrows you're gonna admit to?
Yep one total miss; hit the boss but too high. More misjudging of distance

I shot with two other compounders; a first (except for when I shoot with my son)! Nice to not feel like a bit of a leper!

Just nice to be out there.

While I don’t know the construction method of the arrows, I suspect Easton do a good job so no splintering; I’m sure I’ll find out soon!

brman

Maybe it's a throwback to years gone by when they could splinter horribly. The original Beman carbons were pretty deadly when they splintered. Modern decent carbons are not the same animal ( I put the caveat in to eliminate the cheap pultruded arrows or converted tent poles people really ought to know better than to buy ).
It's not an issue on NFAS field courses and you tend to only see kids/beginners shooting Allies, there's the odd person who shoots them but I would go with 90+% are either wood or carbon as a rough guess and I've not known a problem with them.
On one shoot hosted by Liberty archers we even shoot at a steel target (Robodeer) where anything except the kill zone will shatter your arrow - you just pick the busted arrow up and stick it in the top of the boss to be collected later, no issues - just great fun, everyone takes a couple of cr*p arrows knowing they're likely to be destroyed.
fwiw, a clubmate had an ACE splinter very badly recently. It apparently glanced off the wood surround of the boss and was squashed (d shaped rather than round) and splintered over about 1/3 of its length. Not something I would want to pick up by the wrong end....

EDIT: actually, thinking about it, it was more likely an ACC.

Kernowlad

Carbon can be nasty and so often used inappropriately. Depends on how it’s “laid.”
I’m quite into MTBing where the carbon wand is waved too often, works well on some parts (bars, brake levers), really doesn’t on others (saddle rails; mine snapped), frames, seat posts, bottle cages, etc.

Hopefully my arrows will be okay; every compound field archers I’ve met uses carbon arrows:

Magna Carta have 'RoboDuck'. :D (and yes I've smashed a few arrows on it)

AndyW

Love it, I'd not seen that one - Magna Carta's out of my drive to a shoot range.