Arrows going left

Guthormsen

Trying to sort my daughter's bow out.

She is currently having to put the aperture all the way to the left to get the arrows in the centre of the target.

She shoots quite narrow arrows. I haven't got them to hand at the moment but they are carbon alloys and the size where the nock slots straight into the end without an adapter etc.

She is right handed, and isn't a bad archer, she has JMB status and has had good coaching, I can't see anything obvious that she is doing wrong.

When check her bow over the only thing that I can see is that the shibuya rest is stopping the pressure button from working, the thickness of the magnet section at the back is as thick as the plunger sticks out. I was going to try moving it in slightly further but the magnet stops this. Obviously as soon as the wire starts to move it is going to push any part of the arrow that is left too.

What have we got wrong to make the rest cause this problem? She did recently use a plastic Hoyt rest whilst I was waiting for a replacement arm for the shibuya one and the left right issue was the same although I didn't change anything else, so if the button was out too far then that would have still been an issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
wrong arrow spine, or arrow to long,
plucking the string at release.
worsst case scenerio improper tillering.0f the limbs.

iandall

Limb alignment is a bit tricky because if you squint just the right way you can convince yourself that they are aligned even if they are not. The other thing to consider is twisted limbs or riser. You can check this by putting the bow between a couple of chairs pointing down. Lay arrows across the limbs and look from the end to see if they are lined up. Do this with the arrows across the limbs near the riser and near the tips. The former will tell you if the riser is twisted and the latter will tell you if the limbs are twisted.

It matters surprisingly little (to the shot) if there is a twist, but it might affect how you align the limbs.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Your first post says the tip of the plunger is level with the magnet on the rest, which means that the button isn't doing anything. That definitely isn't right!!.... When you check the limb alignment, are you aligning the string with the tiller adjustment screw holes on the back of the riser as well as the centre line of the limbs?
Other thing to check is if the riser is actually bent or warped....

nbuuifx

Your first post says the tip of the plunger is level with the magnet on the rest, which means that the button isn't doing anything. That definitely isn't right!!.... When you check the limb alignment, are you aligning the string with the tiller adjustment screw holes on the back of the riser as well as the centre line of the limbs?
Other thing to check is if the riser is actually bent or warped....
I was checking it to the tiller bolts but have had one of our club experts have a look and he said that I'd got the limbs aligned nicely with each other but that they were not aligned with the tiller bolts. As someone above had said it is so hard to do by eye! I can convince myself it is all lined up! He also changed the tiller based on my daughter's draw to stop it tilting. He also adjusted the nocking point and said that she had out grown her finger sling which was putting funny pressure on the riser.

This has given a correct centre shot, the button is able to work properly now and the sight isn't as far over to the left, but it is still over to the left. It doesn't seem to change with distance though so I'll just leave it at that for now!

Thanks for all the tips

Nictrix

I was checking it to the tiller bolts but have had one of our club experts have a look and he said that I'd got the limbs aligned nicely with each other but that they were not aligned with the tiller bolts. As someone above had said it is so hard to do by eye! I can convince myself it is all lined up! He also changed the tiller based on my daughter's draw to stop it tilting. He also adjusted the nocking point and said that she had out grown her finger sling which was putting funny pressure on the riser.

This has given a correct centre shot, the button is able to work properly now and the sight isn't as far over to the left, but it is still over to the left. It doesn't seem to change with distance though so I'll just leave it at that for now!

Thanks for all the tips
Instead of moving the sight can you not decrease the pressure on the button to move the arrows from left to right?

Dennismoore

Eye dominance issues? Many women and girls experience eye dominance issues in all forms of shooting - often up to 50% - particularly in adolescence, when eye dominance can change/fluctuate. (It can be particularly hard to isolate in shotgun shooting, due to the nature of the sport and it's often the first thing coaches check if female pupils are having problems.)

Cross-dominance can result in shots going very wide - often 1-2 feet to the left at 20 yds for a right handed shooter. Sometimes it's effect is variable or intermittent, resulting in inconsistency and a general spraying of shots to the left, which might be wrongly attributed to another cause or equipment issue.

You can easily identify this as a potential issue by closing/putting a patch over the left eye and seeing if the problem is alleviated after a couple of dozen arrows. If the issue is identified as cross dominance, she will probably fare best by just using one eye. While desirable, binocular vision is not essential for fixed target sports such as archery. (Mauro Nespoli won silver in Tokyo and he partially closes his left eye while shooting.)

In shotgun shooting, many people apply a small piece of tape on the left lens of their shooting glasses, so that it just obscures the front sight area, when the head is in shooting position.