Barebow At last.....

Hawkmoon

Ha!

After five years (or is it six) of being captain of our clubs Summer Albion league team, I have passed the cap to another.

So now I can do what I was about to when I was shanghaied (err I mean honoured), which is to throw away my sight and shoot barebow, I have my Spigarelli Revolution, and my black widow tab all ready to go, I am going to try string-walking, but as I am still going to be shooting mainly target I get told that gaping is the way to go. So I thought I would see what you guys thought, I am going to get in my first proper session tomorrow to do a bit of tuning and see what my point on distance is, I think it is going to be somewhere between fifty and sixty yards.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Whilst it's undeniable that string walking is ultimately more accurate I find gapping more fun.

My feeling is that string walking has all the baggage of shooting sighted wheras gapping is much more liberating and, well, fun.

You'll struggle against a stringwalker in a competition though.

Try them both and see which you enjoy more.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I don't see that gapping is any more applicable to target than stringwalking, mind.

Mike47j

You probably need both, string walking for indoors, field and short distances, gapping for the longer target distances.

Hawkmoon

I don't see that gapping is any more applicable to target than stringwalking, mind.
I think the thinking is that as you only use a limited number of distances for target it is easier to practice a few "gaps" rather then all the intermediate ones for field, making it easier to also practice whatever change to your draw/anchor you use for the beyond point on distances.