[English Longbow] "Average" score on 20 yards

amberss

Hey,newbie here and I am interested in going into traditional archery after some time with olympic recurve.I know there is not such thing as average score,but what a beginner can expect on 20-30 yards target shooting English longbow?i tried to find out but with ELB everyone seems more interested in the max distance or max weight archer can draw and not so much in accuracy.Anyone shooting English longbow indoor?

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
hi, I have been doing elb for about 18months. my average over this time has one from to 270 to 400 at 20 yds, apart from2 weeks ago when I shot a 281!

Harold's EyeIt wasn't me

Fonz Awardee
Amberss. There are two 'schools' in target Longbow in GB. One which is fascinated in the history and traditions of the Longbow (understandable) and another which regard it in modern terms of being just as deserving as the recurve, barebow and compound classes of respect as a 21st century sporting discipline. The latter will be looking to hit as high a score as possible within the sporting rules, the former will prefer to try to hit as high a score as possible within traditional (usually limiting) 'trappings'. Hope that is fair - no disrespect!
Those in the latter are looking towards Portsmouth scores of 500+ (gents) and 480+ for ladies (don't kill me on that one folks I know ladies shooting over 500) but probably only the top 10%(?) will reach this level. Average scores is a difficult one but look to the DNAA Blaze Classifications (http://dnaa.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Blaze-Rules-Full.pdf) where the various scores are as near to GMB. MB, Bowman, 1st, 2nd and 3rd as could be estimated. Hope this helps.

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
my highest is 421, don't think I will ever get 500! don't take it serious enough. only shoot for 90mins on sunday morns I just do it to relax my brain, have a chat ad a laugh. beng the only elb in the cub is interesting

Geophys

I came to longbow after shooting recurve for a couple of years, so treated it just as a recurve without all the bits, I've now shot it alongside recurve and compound for a couple of years and made Bowman in all three. My Portsmouth best is 521, but my average is closer to 480, with practice you should be able to make 400+ fairly consistently. I use a band and kisser on the longbow, on the occasions when I use a ground marker I find I get less stray shots, but usually a lower overall score.