Awesome new training bows.

DarkMuppet

Has anyone else seen these? Being able to add all your usual sights and stabilisers to it so it feels just like your real bow. These would be great to use when you just can't get any shooting done due to location or weather.

Pretty much the cost of a real bow though.

http://store.impalaarchery.com/ak-k-extreme-standard/

[video=youtube;YOKs3KgL_r8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOKs3KgL_r8[/video]

:D

Darth Tom

I saw these at Vegas, they're pretty impressive. I think the recurve one in particular has too much string angle to replicate shooting, and frankly that's the deal breaker for me on the compound one too.

That said, I do think it's a good training tool and it has a lot to recommend it.

ben tarrow

Now if someone was to build something similar that could quickly and easily be retro fitted to an existing riser, THAT would be good!

DarkMuppet

I suppose it gives you a better action for the follow through, both your release arm and bow arm can go in their own directions (roll the bow away if you like doing that) instead of being held more or less static after the release.

Whitehart, can you still get those tube like devices that have an hydraulic cushioned arrow in, that you can fit to your bow ?

Darth Tom

My thoughts on it vs other training tools:

Vs Formaster (solid or elastic)
Pro: normal feeling release and follow through
Con: more expensive, lacks true follow-through training of Formaster, doesn't make exact poundage, grip, string angle feel of your own bow

Vs pneumatic tubes
Pro: can use a clicker easily for recurve (feature only on some tubes), maintains typical bow balance (not a heavy tube), more realistic shot follow through (tubes have a massive pull on the bow arm)
Cons: more expensive, doesn't match exact poundage, grip, string angle feel of your own bow

Vs shooting at a home indoor/garden target (assuming you would buy to shoot when you can't get to a range)
Pro: safe, can be shot anywhere, quiet, can shoot without arrows
Con: doesn't match exact poundage, grip, string angle feel of your own bow

Whitehart

Whitehart, can you still get those tube like devices that have an hydraulic cushioned arrow in, that you can fit to your bow ?
No I haven't seen them for sometime the one I remember was British made. Again it did not really bring anything to the table. IMO if you need something to practice with use your bow and a foremaster or Astra trainer it's what the pro's do as. These devices give you far more feed back as well as improving posture and fitness.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
No I haven't seen them for sometime the one I remember was British made. Again it did not really bring anything to the table. IMO if you need something to practice with use your bow and a foremaster or Astra trainer it's what the pro's do as. These devices give you far more feed back as well as improving posture and fitness.
The exerset looks like it's still around, unless the site is out of date...

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
The problem I always had with training simulators: If you have the room and time to use one, why not actually shoot?

That angle doesn't apply to things like the Formaster, which have a purpose beyond just letting you pull and release.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
That one is the equivalent of shooting a bicycle pump. The pump being attached to the bow and the handle is attached to the string. I guess the resistance at the piston slows down the string a little more than an arrow would, so the feel of the shot will be similar.