Back tension release aid

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
if you mean a hinge, then yes, back off with the fingers, wrap the thumb round the post and let it down. The click just lets you know it's right on the edge, but the release still needs to rotate some more to launch the arrow, so if you back off it can't.

seanplod

(y)
if you mean a hinge, then yes, back off with the fingers, wrap the thumb round the post and let it down. The click just lets you know it's right on the edge, but the release still needs to rotate some more to launch the arrow, so if you back off it can't.
Thanks

jerryRTD

I have always found referring to a hinge release as a 'back tension ' release inaccurate and confusing. You can put all the back tension you want on a hinge release and it will not shoot. It is set off by the release being allowed rotate. I have a 'Hamskea' Breakthru , the angle at which it is held has no effect To get it to go off you must squeeze the trigger and apply back tension

Thorvald

#jerryRTD. I get your point. For me a "real" back tension release is one that you simply pull back (with tension in your back / shoulders etc., hence the name) - untill it goes off. So to have it go off, you'll need a straight action, in the direction to what you are aiming to hit (either pushing the bow, pulling the string or some combination of these two).

Hinge release you'll need to rotate you release hand, to have it go off. Maybe to some extend by rotating your elbow using your back muscles. Pushing the bow forward, simply pulling back in the string, won't work.

inthemiddle

If you setup a Hinge properly and grip it with conviction, back tension will set it off. That's how they work, your hand naturally rotates as you engage your back and pull. Works for me. Some people shoot them like they are drinking a posh cup of tea with their pinky finger sticking out. You can see them physically rotate their hand to set it off, clearly not back tension but it works really well for some people.

jerryRTD

True, for some people but not for some others .What you do to get that rotation does not mater it does not alter the operation of a hinge which is by rotation .

jerryRTD

interesting .The concept of a 'long trigger is some thing I never considered before It also brings up the question of where does the ;long trigger end and the punch begin ??

inthemiddle

interesting .The concept of a 'long trigger is some thing I never considered before It also brings up the question of where does the ;long trigger end and the punch begin ??
Well I guess it's all about the conscious/subconscious action of setting said trigger off. If you are consciously rotating the hand to trigger it, you can do this either very slowly or very fast with anything in between. I'm not sure how you can trigger it subconsciously ( surprise release) without using back tension. ie Back tension builds with the side effect of setting the trigger off.

Adding the click feature into the mix is a whole new can of worms. As soon as I hear that I know I can punch it regardless of how I set it off. I disable that feature

Last edited: