Bare shaft tuning arrow angle

MiztaZiggy

Hi everyone
I've been doing some bare shaft tuning and I'm at a bit of a loss.
I'm using 36lb limbs, measured at 42 or so otf. Bought 2114 arrows and initially had to turn in tiller bolts 4 or so turns to get a good tune.
I changed my string a few weeks ago, and my time went all to cock. Arrows were going all over the place. I think the string was a different material.

Bare shafts were now going way to the left, being left handed that is weak.
I've unwound tiller bolts by around 4 turns again to get the bare shafts to group with the others....but now they're nearly always landing at a steep angle.

I'm no expert, arrow group size is roughly the size of the gold on 60cm at 20yd. I'll shoot 6 fletched and 3 unfletched at a time, and typically all 9 will be grouped within the 9 or just outside. After 10 or so ends there's no noticeable difference between fletched and unfletched group centre.

Still, the unfletched will land at a strange angle, they land at around 25 to 30 degree with their nock to the right. Looking straight on at the target, the points will be in the gold, the nocks hovering over 7 or 8 at 3 o'clock.

My question is therefore, what is it that affects the angle of the arrows?
Does it matter? Does this mean they're still shooting weak?

If I stiffen the plunger, the whole group moves to the right, the angle does reduce slightly, but the group seems to widen up significantly....im stumped

For reference this is one I've just shot. 40cm target, 20yd.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

buzz lite beer

don't forget that adjusting the plunger depth is another option, everyone seems to always forget this or think that it mustn't be adjusted you can often get your bare shafts to impact much straighter by doing this

MiztaZiggy

Ok, thanks for the tip.
Which way would you suggest I start moving it? In or out?

At the moment it's set so that the left side of the tip of the arrow is in line with the right of the string.

dottorfoggy

Had the same problem to tune mine, 2314.
I solved like that:
-center shot, set the point right in the middle of the string
-plunger, use the hardest spring and play with it, in my case, used the hardest setting possible
-brace, it helped for me a lot, increasing it will help the bare shaft land more straight to the target, as in your case, are landing pointing to the left.

I'm not an expert but screwing week's on it I managed to shoot the bare shaft at the 10 spot too, parallel to the fletched one ;)

MiztaZiggy

Thanks for that :) I'll try moving the centre shot in and see what difference it makes.

I've got my brace at 9 3/8 already so not far off maximum recommended for long limbs on riser of 24.5cm.

I'm using hardest spring already, it's not as tight as it will go but not that far off, maybe 5 full turns.

aquatoo

Bracing height

Change your bracing height and the angle of the arrows will change. When they are straight that's where you want to be. Set centre shot before you start with the arrow tip dead centre of the bow, assuming they are parallel shafts. If they are tapered ( ACE OR X10) set it a fraction left of centre.

MiztaZiggy

After a LOT of fiddling I wasn't able to get the arrows to line up. I tried centre shot and although it did improve things slightly it wasn't right still.

I tried a new string and that seemed to sort it out. The first string was a slightly wider serving done in diamond back whereas the new one is thinner and a standard material.

Without much effort at all the arrows now line up perfectly 😀

Though now I have another problem.

This is going to sound really basic but I can't figure it out.

When I put my fingers on the string like I always do, top finger close to, even slightly touching the nock, arrow shoots fine and on target.

I tried moving my fingers very slightly, not sure why I did it now, but the arrows shot dead centre but much higher.
I was shooting 21m range on 60cm target. The arrows went right over the target, maybe 50cm higher at 21m?!?!

My question therefore is which one is the correct position and why does 1 shoot much higher than other?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
After a LOT of fiddling I wasn't able to get the arrows to line up. I tried centre shot and although it did improve things slightly it wasn't right still.

I tried a new string and that seemed to sort it out. The first string was a slightly wider serving done in diamond back whereas the new one is thinner and a standard material.

Without much effort at all the arrows now line up perfectly 😀

Though now I have another problem.

This is going to sound really basic but I can't figure it out.

When I put my fingers on the string like I always do, top finger close to, even slightly touching the nock, arrow shoots fine and on target.

I tried moving my fingers very slightly, not sure why I did it now, but the arrows shot dead centre but much higher.
I was shooting 21m range on 60cm target. The arrows went right over the target, maybe 50cm higher at 21m?!?!

My question therefore is which one is the correct position and why does 1 shoot much higher than other?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I would normally rather that the top finger is touching the arrow than the bottom one. I think it's a little more consistent. The risk with touching from underneath is that you can actually lift the arrow slightly without noticing (except in results). Ideally, neither touches, of course.

Regarding the string change and angle: could have been a bit of a kick at nock separation from a slightly too tight fit.