Barebow Barebow accuracy compared to Olympic Recurve

blakey

We're having a discussion about this on Archery Forum. Our best barebower, Michael Fisher, has registered validated scores in Unmarked Field that are higher than those of Oly Recurve. His scores in marked field are only slightly lower. Just wondering if anyone knows of any European comparisons? Cheers. :)

290-GTP

I don't know about other comparisons Blakey but M Fisher is a phenomenal barebower. I shot the Illawarra Field comp with him last year, from memory Michael shot a 362. Our club secretary, who shoots Olympic recurve scored a Silver with a 256 I think.

I wont say what my barebow score was. Lols

Shirt

Some of the Swedish barebow guys regularly shoot 570+ for a FITA 18.

There's a very large number of recurves that will never get there.

Not so sure about the validity of unmarked comparisons (or FITA field generally) due to the fact that the barebows are 10m closer per shot on average.

steve Morley

I haven't done enough WA Field to know (maybe 4 rounds in total) but 256 doesn't seem much when I've shot 290 on my first ever unmarked Field with a Longbow, it wasn't a tough course, I've seen a few that looked brutal. I saw an awesome course in Finland that I hope to shoot this year as part of my training for Dublin.

I shot my first BB marked Field score in Nov, a 330, from the the 362 posted it's sounds like it might be a good starting point for me.

blakey

I haven't done enough WA Field to know (maybe 4 rounds in total) but 256 doesn't seem much when I've shot 290 on my first ever unmarked Field with a Longbow, it wasn't a tough course, I've seen a few that looked brutal. I saw an awesome course in Finland that I hope to shoot this year as part of my training for Dublin.

I shot my first BB marked Field score in Nov, a 330, from the the 362 posted it's sounds like it might be a good starting point for me.
Hi Steve, am I right in thinking I heard Timo Leskinen shooting a 300 in IFAA? Cheers

steve Morley

Hi Steve, am I right in thinking I heard Timo Leskinen shooting a 300 in IFAA? Cheers
He broke the 10 year IFAA WR twice 289 and 290 and set a new Flint WR which was 10 points more than the Compound BB WR. 3 weeks before he set a new Finnish record of 299. I did hope he would do the same at the worlds, he had no serious competition and he looked relaxed but it wasn't to be, it was great watching him anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c50OGAW17vc (his cap is on backwards, this was the Flint round)

Hawkmoon

The easiest way to compare is to look at the AGB classification charts, they are meant to allow a certain percentile into each classification (which could be to 80% 3rd class, top 50% 2nd, top 30% 1st, top 20% BM top 10% MB top 5% GBM), and as the percentile is the same for each class you can get a feel for how they compare for accuracy. You will always get a few archers who shoot say free style better than most compounds or barebow better than most free style archers, but they are the exceptions.