Barebow Arrow Weight

MikeD

Hi,

I've been shooting barebow indoors for a couple of months now (and other styles on and off over the last 40 years). Today I got a first chance to try shooting outdoors.

My setup: Spigarelli Revolution riser with 44lb Hex 5 limbs (68", 43lbs on fingers). Arrows 2013 XX75s 28" long.

So with that setup I'm point on at 50 yards. As I shoot IFAA, up to 80 yards, it would be nice to get point on a bit longer.

If I switched to 600 spine Carbon Ones at 28" with 80 grain points they be about 45 grains lighter.

How much difference is that likely to make?

Am I right thinking if I can shorten the arrows, I'd get a higher trajectory through geometry. Is .5 " going to make much difference.

Is there anything else I can do?

Cheers

Mike

Valkamai

When i shot an ifaa round last year (ukifac held at my club, i normally shoot fita field) I was shooting 28 inch goldtip velocity arrows, 600 spine, 100gr points plus insert, total arrow weight about 293 grains. String walking up to 65 yards, aiming just above the face for 70, string walking to 65 yard mark with shelf on bottom of face for 80 yards. I was using hex 5w 42lbs @ 28, about 40 otf. I'm guessing the carbon ones are a similar weight, possibly slightly heavier, but I would really consider a heavier point weight to give a higher foc.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

steve Morley

When I switched from Bowhunter to Barebow I lowered my anchor to Index finger corner of mouth, it also gave me a stronger conclusion.

I've been shooting 550 C1's last year 29" 90g points and KVanes 310g total, 42# CV-H limbs, with my 27.75"" draw I have a 60y point on, 65y I gap, 70y I lower my anchor for another point on and gap again at 80y.

I'm trying 525 CT Cheetah's this year, bigger diameter shaft, 125g up front but only 3g heavier than the C1's, I shoot a lot of 3D IFAA/WA. So far I'm pleased with how these arrows shoot

blakey

Y
Hi,

I've been shooting barebow indoors for a couple of months now (and other styles on and off over the last 40 years). Today I got a first chance to try shooting outdoors.

My setup: Spigarelli Revolution riser with 44lb Hex 5 limbs (68", 43lbs on fingers). Arrows 2013 XX75s 28" long.

So with that setup I'm point on at 50 yards. As I shoot IFAA, up to 80 yards, it would be nice to get point on a bit longer.

If I switched to 600 spine Carbon Ones at 28" with 80 grain points they be about 45 grains lighter.

How much difference is that likely to make?

Am I right thinking if I can shorten the arrows, I'd get a higher trajectory through geometry. Is .5 " going to make much difference.

Is there anything else I can do?

Cheers

Mike
Shortening the arrows will get you more distance. It will change your tune though. Lighter weights will also get you distance. As a barebower you can face walk as well. So you can raise your anchor. With your setup you should at least be able to reach 100yds. Good luck. :)

D

Deleted member 7654

Arrow weight is a trade off... flat trajectory vs lost momentum and excess energy staying in the bow (and it sounding like a car crash every time you loose :stirthepo: ). What does the limb/bow manufacturer recommend as a minimum grains per pound draw weight?
I'd have thought 7 or 8 grains per pound would be a minimum.
Fletchings are a major contribution to trajectory too... but I'm sure you know that.
Del

steve Morley

Del has a good point I experimented with 650 Cheetahs giving a 250g arrow used with 36# limbs, the point weight was 70g because they were showing weak, I found although I had the similar 7gpp and identical point on as the CV limbs and 310g C1 arrows but I found the setup twitchy as hell because FOC was too light.

Finding that perfect balance between tune and stable setup out trumps ultra light arrows for a flat shooting setup every time.

MikeD

Thanks everyone, some excellent information there :)

I'll have a look at the Cheetahs and the CT Velocity, and if I can get single shafts I'll try a couple of spines and see what length I can get them tuned in. I know I can get single Carbon ones, which is the main reason I was considering them. 60 Yards point on would be great, 65 even better. I like the idea of only having to gap for 4 arrows on a field round...

Valkamai

I'll have a look at the Cheetahs and the CT Velocity, and if I can get single shafts I'll try a couple of spines and see what length I can get them tuned in.
Where I bought the velocitys (bow*****s) they were only available in dozen shafts, but the standard quality GT ultralight is the same shaft under a "target" label not a "hunting" label and they are available to buy singularly. The velocity shafts are just cheaper to buy if you want a dozen.

MikeD

Good progress :) I got a couple of Cheetah 3Ds 650 spine from Alt S******S and made them up with 100 grain screw in points (plus 20 grain insert), wraps and 2 3/8 fletches. All up weight of the fletched arrow is 295 grains, 10 grains over Borders recommended minimum.

These are shooting a little bit weak at 20 yards, but easily tune-able. I've ordered to 85 grain screw in points to try to see what difference there is, and ordered a dozen more shafts (The Archery C*****Y) have them on special offer.

I was point on at 60 yards on a cold damp misty day. With the 85 grain points and a slightly lower nocking point I might get point on at 65.

Valkamai

I'd consider using a stiffer shaft rather than go under the recommended weight.

Valkamai

I don't know why i think so but i seem to remember that 10% over the minimum is what border actually recommend, so even 10 gr over minimum is actually under recommended. I would check if i were you. I could well be wrong though !

MikeD

I don't know why i think so but i seem to remember that 10% over the minimum is what border actually recommend, so even 10 gr over minimum is actually under recommended. I would check if i were you. I could well be wrong though !
Yes that's what's on the Border site. But on that basis a correctly spined ACE with 100 grain point, spin wings and a push in nock is going to be too light! It's going to be about 2 grains over the minimum. I suspect the recommendation is safely conservative and 5 grains (.18 grains per inch, or .12 grains per pound) under is neither here nor there.