Barebow sighting at 70m

Phil Reay

I use the 3 finger under with the nock touching the under side of my chin at long distance and I also change limbs for different distances to keep me on the target .
too expensive for me to change limbs i'm afraid. i just move up and down the string or face walk. does mean i have the arrow point on the target at every distance

sns

I used to use 3 sets of limbs but now I use 38# limbs for 100 and 60 yards and 30# for 80yards
Curiosity has the better of me. Did you mistype that post ? You're shooting 38# at 100 yds then going down to 30# for 80 yds then back up to 38# for 60 yds. Why would you do that ?

bigousdicous

Because I face walk rather than string walk it's the only way I can keep the point of the arrow on the target ,I've been warned off of string walking because i was told when shooting a round your finger position should not change during a round and I don't want to take a chance of not doing it correctly.I shoot nock under chin for 100 and 80 yards and to the corner of the mouth for 60 yards and bellow.If I was to shoot from the corner of my mouth at 100 or 80 yards I would be 10 ft above the target or I would need such powerfull limbs that my shoulder would get damaged again which I cannot afford to happen.

Richard

sns

Ok. I face walk too. Only string walk below 40yds. I'm just above mouth at 60. Against jaw line at 80 and 100 but change to a Mediterranean loose at 100.

greysides

A short arrow will help with point-on/point-blank distance. As will a light arrow.

I've somewhere around 39# on my fingers and 28" BOP length Carbon One arrows.

I have a PO of 65m.

Mind you they are Border limbs.............

JohnK

I've been warned off of string walking because i was told when shooting a round your finger position should not change during a round and I don't want to take a chance of not doing it correctly.
Sorry, this is for target shooting, yes? If so, whoever told you that is wrong. Unless the rules have changed while I've not been looking, face- and stringwalking are perfectly legal for FITA barebow. It's NFAS and some other field archery organisations that mandate one anchor point and one string hand position (split finger or three fingers under) for barebow.

JohnK

Check the FITA rules as well, just in case they've changed lately :)

Some people can be very funny about barebow, in my experience. I've shot barebow on and off for a while now, and once I was accused of cheating because I had a pressure button on my bow!

English Bowman

Some people can be very funny about barebow, in my experience. I've shot barebow on and off for a while now, and once I was accused of cheating because I had a pressure button on my bow!
Pressure button?????
You'll be telling me that you aim and hit the target next, and we all know that hitting the target without a sight isn't allowed!
:)

Phil Reay

i went barebow because my riser distorted and it didn't make that much difference shooting barebow. 1st competition i went in for, i nearly got disqualified because i had a wrap round arrow rest, sight block and a clicker (was on the bow when i bought it and never used). only reason i wasn't disqualified was because the winner beat me by 2 points. too everything off and beat him 3 weeks later. then tried to get me disqualified because i had chips on my riser. considering he had a multi coloured bow, the judge told him to b. off. Did have to cover the chips over with insulating tape for the national championships. wrap round arrow rests now allowed and i can't fit it on my fibrebow.

bigousdicous

You were told wrap around rest are not allowed but when I went to a comp in Essex for bb nearly all were using them and nothing was said

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I'm pretty sure that wraparound rests were not allowed for barebow prior to about 2008, when the RoS were updated... So maybe someone hasn't seen the update.

Phil Reay

Wrapround rests are allowed now, as is marking the tab. It's just that the fibrebow has a lump surrounding the button thread and the wrapround rest won't sit flat so i have to use a stick on which i have never been keen on as i had the glue melt on me in a competition once and everytime i loaded an arrow, the rest was in a different position. took me 3 weeks to find out why my shooting went to pieces. Silly me. Damn well check them now