Bareshaft - different spine, same result - light draw weight

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have been helping one of the girls in our club to tune her bow and check her arrow spine, and I'm stumped, so hoping someone else can shed some light on this...

Basically, she has a very short draw length due to being quite small, so is shooting a Hoyt riser with short Hoyt 820 limbs, 40lb, but actually drawing 32lb.

She has two sets of arrows, both ACC's, 1150 spine and 1500 spine.

So set up the bow, arrows aligned just left of string, sight centred above shaft etc.

Started with the 1150 arrows (should be stiff according to Easton chart)

To get fletched arrows in the centre, button pressure is very soft, really really soft.... Shibuya button, softest spring, then the adjuster would out pretty much all the way.

Bare shafts go left of the group, around 9 o/c white on a 122cm face at 30m.

Changed to 1500 spine arrows

Fletched arrows impact high and slightly right compared to 1150's, 2 o/c red.

Bare shaft is still showing stiff, 9 o/c red/blue

I was expecting a two spine change to bring the bare shafts much further over than I saw today?

My biggest concern is how soft the button has ended up, could it be so soft now the arrow is bouncing off the riser? There is no sign of contact on the riser or shaft, and no noise?
Would that explain the slightly odd bare shaft results seen too?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes, most probably.
My suggestion would be to push the shaft further out from centre and try again. Is she using a clicker? A soft button can be depressed by the clicker pushing on the arrow which can give the most amazingly odd results.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Yes she is using a clicker.... I did wonder whether to reset the button to a medium type setting, roughly the pressure mine is, and start again.....
are there generally a number of different button tensions that will work?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I think softening a button can lead to more problems than having it set to an average sort of stiffness.
I would try different centre shot positions, as TT says. I would also look to see which way the arrows are pointing when she is at full draw, and possibly find they are pointing left of the target . She might have the string picture over to her right so arrows are directed to the left. Standing further back from the shooting line when you look at her should give you a good view of which way the arrows are pointing when she is aiming at the gold.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes she is using a clicker.... I did wonder whether to reset the button to a medium type setting, roughly the pressure mine is, and start again.....
are there generally a number of different button tensions that will work?
A stiff clicker can depress a soft button, moving the arrow inside centreshot, or at least inside where you'd set it. As the clicker drops the button will bounce the arrow out again, but also, depending on how sharp your archer is with her loose, want to move back towards the bow. The softest a button should be set is such that the clicker you are using does not push the arrow over even by the tiniest amount.
So if it turns out you do need a very soft button, you'll also need a very soft clicker, which obviously has it's own issues - try hearing/feeling that in the rain.

Other daft things to check are that your archer doesn't cant her bow, and that her loose is in line with the string not away from her face.

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Just to close this thread out for anyone with the same issue in the future, TT was absolutely on the money. The button was so soft that the clicker was pushing the arrow inside centreshot.....
I put my old old button in her bow, set to my pressure, set centre shot and then only had to back off the pressure slightly to get centred again. Bare shafts are still slightly stiff but much better than before.
Thanks TT, never thought of the clicker putting the centre shot that far out.