Barner Timeless Inertia rest

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
There are two narrow blocks that support the inertia weight. On the block that is closer to the pivot there is a screw that shows from the upper sloping face of the block. Turning that into the block, pushes the weight away from the cam that holds the arm in the raised position. That in turn pushes the end of the rod that catches in the notch on the cam and reduces the overlap between the two parts. With too little overlap, just drawing the arrow will shake the cam enough to drop the arm. Set too coarse and the arm will never drop, so the rest can become a fixed type.

hooktonboy

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Thanks Geoff, I thought it appeared to work pretty much like that (at least all the moving parts are on show, which helps). Looking forward to trying this out (antique archer with an antique rest, hehe!)

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
There are two schools of thought on when a drop away should drop. Some say as soon as possible; such as after 2-3" of arrow travel. Others say as late as possible; just in time to clear the fletchings.
From that I guess it doesn't matter... specially as some say they manage with a rest that doesn't drop ever.
I made a rest of my own that used a different trigger for the drop. The rest stayed up in the same way as the Barner so it was almost rigid until it dropped. I could adjust the drop time by very small amounts from just too soon to just too late.
Anything after the first 2-3 inches all the way to hitting the fletches gave similar result( apart from the shape of paper tears after hitting the fletchings)
I was attracted to the bullet holes as I never liked to see nasty tears. However, my shooting wasn't good enough to say if one setting gave any better groups than any other settings.