Bearpaw String Board Plans

SchattenMann

Greetings,

I'm researching for String Board plans to start making my own Flemish strings and i did find a hole lot of plans around. TBH the one i liked the most was the Bearpaw String board that seems very easy and extremely helpful.

I was wondering if anyone has the plans to make one? This one seems different than usually as it allows us to make strings at 1'' length interval and most of the ones i've found only has marks to 2'' increments...

Cheers

If you're just trying to build a string board all you really need are a nice flat, straight board, a couple dozen nails and three short lengths of dowel or arrow shaft, at that point the layout is simple.

The one on poor folk bows is clear (google 'poor folk bows string'), if you want to make strings at 1 inch intervals just make the intervals between the numbered steps 1/2 inch rather than 1 inch.

By that I mean the ones numbered 48, 50, 52. Make each of these 1/2" apart rather than 1".

The jig I made is built like that, but if I find I'm 1 inch out then adding or taking out twists makes the difference.

SchattenMann

Thank you mate for your reply,

Indeed after some more reading i've noticed that flemish strings are far from accurate since this is a manual work. A few twist/untwist should solve pretty much any problem.

Bearpaw board does have some fancy stuff like string size measure but far from make it worth ?60...

I'll probably end up building one of these:

Quite simply a board is quicker than measuring each one by hand against a tape..

Strings can be awkward at first to get your sizes right but that just takes practice.. And be careful with different string colours, some seem to behave differently to others, even if they're the same material..

Better to make it an inch long and have what seems like a lot of twists than waste the string material.. If you want to practice, the 7 strand core paracord is something like 7p a yard online, gut it and play with that if you really don't want to waste string material..

Good luck!

Archery is a niche market, traditional even more so, make your tools yourself and experience the satisfaction of knowing every mistake is entirely down to you..

SchattenMann

Unfortunately in Portugal Paracord is more expensive than BCY B50 lol

I love to make my own material, honestly i think half the fun is the DIY part...at least when i miss the target i have a valid reason lol :p

Thanks for the reply mate ;)

SchattenMann

fr_1194_size640.jpg fr_1195_size640.jpg fr_1196_size640.jpg

hopefully tomorrow my Ragim black Bear 45# will have a new flemish string...only doubt so far is between 12 and 14 strands but i'm concern that my BCY 62 Centre Serving .021" will make the centre serving to thin with only 12 strands making it hard to hold my arrows...

Small point, you normally wrap the strings tied from the stack of lots of nails at the top, down to the bottom, up to the middle, down and then back up to the stack of nails, looks like you've started on the middle post? (might be wrong).

It shouldn't do anything to the string strength as such but doing it the way I say above means you stagger the ends so it tapers down to the string rather than going loop thickness, jump down to string thickness..

I might be wrong about how you've done it and I feel like I've not explained that very well, but I hope that makes sense?

SchattenMann

Yah you are right mate (i didn't started on the middle post but on the bottom left post but it's pretty much the same you've said)

Thankfully i have the rull of "measure once, cut twice" and noticed that before cutting it lol

Also i want to do a 12 strands string so i only need to pass on the nails 6 times instead of the 7 (actually i have 8 because i've passed 2 times on the first nail according to Bearpaw instructions) i already have in the photo...

Now i just need to read a little more on loop sizes and string length - before twisted - to start the twisting. I've read somewhere that it's 8'' untwisted and 3'' twisted but that doesn't seem nowhere near the sizes i'm seeing in this video although, once again, this isn't exactly a right or wrong subject but more a personal opinion and taste i suppose:

[video=youtube;C07evRZT_PQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C07evRZT_PQ&list=UUybdLfH-cQnGuPoFXntsA_Q[/video]

Ah no worries, well done for catching yourself! I know I had one hell of a time trying to get mine right the first few times..

Loop length and whatnot - honestly I don't know.. I worked mine out with trial and error on my first string and calibrated my jig from there! haha

I cheat, make it up and guess, best way I reckon aha

Good luck with it!

SchattenMann

First flemish string done. Looks decent but unfortunately is way to short.

I end up building this jig but only noticed the sizes we mark represent bow length instead of actually string length...duh

My bow is 58'' so i choose the 56'' nail but end up with a 44'' string...dammit!

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
First flemish string done. Looks decent but unfortunately is way to short.

I end up building a jig but only noticed the sizes we mark represent bow length instead of actually string length...duh

My bow is 58'' so i choose the 56'' nail but end up with a 44'' string...dammit!
I just made one of these jigs. Made a string. Guess what it is 4" short, I couldn't understand why. I never realised (until I read your post) that the markings are Bow length not String length. I don't remember seeing that stated anywhere.
I'm going to remark my peg positions to show string length.

Dennis

SchattenMann

I just made one of these jigs. Made a string. Guess what it is 4" short, I couldn't understand why. I never realised (until I read your post) that the markings are Bow length not String length. I don't remember seeing that stated anywhere.
I'm going to remark my peg positions to show string length.

Dennis
welcome to the club mate :p

Valkamai

Nice one, I prefer more twists about 40, but i'm making a 63 inch string.

I think you have to make the first one wrong to help learn how to make one right. At least that's my excuse.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2