"Beat The Virus" Online Leagues

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
OK, I've mentioned them in other posts but perhaps it's fitting to give them their own thread 🏹

My recommendation is the one fronted by R-Core - FAR more recurve/barebow/longbow friendly targets which can be generated according to the range you have available to you.

The other is organised by World Archery, and seems much more suitable for wheelie-bowers. The targets are TINY 😔

I hope to start tomorrow, my tripod was delivered today, my boss is due tomorrow. I have a good half-dozen targets printed already & there is a stack of 80cm ones in the boss package - plus some 'novelty' ones.

It would be kewl to compete against those of you who live too far away to meet IRL, even after the crisis has passed & AGB returns to normal.

Stay safe, keep shooting 🦁

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Guessing that nobody else has an @ home range. N'e'r mind.

I'm leaving this here, it's just a quick vid I shot to 'verify' my length for the online leagues...

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
So today I had a go at the WA league target - and abandoned in disgust after 8 arrows. I can't even SEE those tiny golds at 8m (and there's a good light directly above the face). It should be re-named the 'Online Cheats with Sniperscopes & Triggers' league IMO. If next weeks' face(s) aren't a LOT more recurve-friendly, that's IT for the WA league :mad:

WA 1.jpg

To restore my self-confidence I whipped out my 60" Big Bore Magnum Pro - as I've said before, it's PURE instinctive shooting, not even the simplest of 'sights' allowed, just a naked tube with a mouthpiece. MUCH safer, less stressful, vastly more fun & just as accurate.

Dartz 1.jpg

Dartz 2.jpg

...and the 'pipe (with a good supply of assorted darts) costs about the same as ONE fully-pimped A/C/E.

The Egertec boss is PERFECT for the pipe, and I can move it into the living room where it's warmer.

...Yes, I'm re-discovering my love for the 'umble blaaspijp.

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
One problem with scaling down faces for distance is at very close range you need perfect bow setup or will will not get the same arrow movement from shot to shot. At longer ranges the arrow has time to settle out.
Just shot a WA40cm face scaled to 3m for 5.5mm dia arrows. Shot six arrows barebow before it started to snow! Would hope to be much tighter than this after sighters.

WA40 at 3m.jpg

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
shot in the garden using a scaled down target to do a LMG at 20m. Got my wife to point the leaf blower at me to make it more like our field. Did avergarely so pleased that there was no advantage to using a shorter distance.
However, I cant see how to submit scores anywhere, please enlighten me

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Just had an email from AGB CEO Neil Armitage , contains this:-

Shooting from home

I would like to remind you that we do not endorse shooting from home, our insurance does not cover any ranges that are not registered with Archery GB. We do not recommend members purchasing their own insurance for the purposes of shooting at home, we cannot guarantee you are safe to shoot from home, from a skill, equipment or home range perspective. We have already received a number of enquiries from worried neighbours, please consider the wider community in your decision to ignore our guidance. We are all experiencing a time of heightened anxiety, where social distancing means we are confined to our own homes, please consider the impact of your actions on others. There are people who have let us know that they do not feel safe to spend time in their own gardens, because of people shooting in the garden next-door. We do not want this period to have a negative impact on archery’s reputation as a safe and enjoyable sport.
I've already knocked archery on the head, gone back to blowpipe, but perhaps all y'all should take heed.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
If someone has their own insurance there is nothing for AGB to say on the matter. If they have had a number of enquiries have they then checked their database to see if it was an AGB member registered at that address and then did they send a helicopter over to see if it was the same person shooting?
Then having done this have they considered the GDPR implications of the use of the database for purposes outside of the reason for the collection of the data in the first place.
It is times like this you get you know what people are made of.
Arkell v Pressdram comes to mind

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
In the last few weeks I've seen pictures with peoples targets up against garden fences and neighbor's boundaries. Legal, insured or not, that ain't gonna end well.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Apart from being badly worded, especially the bit about insurance, it's not bad advice in my opinion.

Don't think that AGBs insurance will cover you for shooting at home; AGB won't back up your belief that you or your home range is safe to shoot; and please stop terrorising the neighbors.

Big George

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Why would neighbours contact AGB and not the police? Doesn‘t make sense to me.
My shooting is into the garage, either totally in the garage if it’s raining or just outside the door if it’s not.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
stating that the AGB insurance doesnt cover it is a red herring, like the Chief Constable saying that they arent currently going through people's shopping trollies to check for non essential items. It is nothing to do with them, not covered by an legislation and beyond thier powers
AGB may have a monopoly on organised archery shot under certain conditions but that doesnt preclude anyone from buying a bow and twanging away. I'm sure that someone somewhere will cause a problem but I would also bet that person isnt an AGB member and most certainly wont be claiming that they are covered by their insurance.
Same goes with most air weapons users.
As for terrorising my neighbours, my next door neighbour is an ex-archer and any terrors he has will be due to his habitual recreational drug use causing paranoia. I havent reported him to AGB for this.
In this country anything is legal unless it is specifically prescribed and I dont like people telling the world at large that it is against "the rules" when whatever it is they dont like is perfectly lawful.

LAC Mark

I've also seen those pictures of some what dubious home ranges with nothing but a fence panel as a backstop, but there are others that have taken sensible steps towards range safety.
I shoot into a large shed/workshop that has another shed behind it, then a fence, my neighbours know that I'm shooting at home and support me.