[Horsebow] Beginner's questions

MJM

I am planning to take up archery with a thumb-ring. Years ago I used to shoot a longbow but I'm going to try a horsebow now. It will combine my interests in archery and riding. Mostly I will be shooting from the ground but I want to combine it with riding as much as I can.
I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask.

1 - I have read conflicting advice about the need to start horse archery with a light bow. I am thinking of getting a bow in the 35 to 40 pounds range. As I wrote above most of my shooting will be from the ground and I will be spending a lot of time getting used to this bow weight on foot. Do people think this is too heavy a bow to start with, all things considered?

2 - I am thinking in terms of a Grozer base bow, either a 'Pecheneg' or a 'hunnic base'. I asked Grozer's if they thought an asymmetrical bow was unsuitable for a beginner but their reply only said that they advised base bows for beginners. Although I'm sure that is good advice, and shows that they do not blindly advise the most expensive bows in their range (a very pleasing thing),as both of these are base bows it doesn't completely answer my question. So, the second question is, do people think that an asymmetrical base bow would be unwise for a beginner?

I will be grateful for any thoughts that people can give me.
Thanks in advance,
MJM

ChakaZulu

1. The correct draw weight to start with is one that you can pull easily and comfortably. Depending on your build, strength and technique, that might be 40lb or it might be 20lb. You really need to try a variety and see what works for you.

2. I don't think there's anything wrong with an asymmetric bow for a beginner. The Pecheneg is nice.

Where are you based? We have a growing number of horseback archers spread across the country now...

MJM

Thanks for your response.
I'll drag one of my old bows out of the loft (I never seem to throw anything away). I think it has its weight marked on it and I'll see how I get on nowadays at drawing it.
I live near Nottingham.
I'm planning a trip to the Horseback Archery Centre in August :poulies:.
Cheers.

Riceburner

Good luck with it!

I'm still trying to find chances to try a thumb draw with my 60lb Samick Mind50 - but I think it's too strong for my thumb at the moment. ChakaZulu is the person to talk to about it though!