Beiter hit/miss target system

napolienne

Fonz Awardee
We were shooting on these at BUTC, which was enjoyable despite my equipment failure (damn clickers...:thumbsdow) . The use of the hit/miss targets made it obvious for the many spectators who was in the lead, and the yellow discs flying out of the targets were visually quite spectacular.:beady:

Just wondered what everyone else thought of the system - is this the way archery should be going? Would it mean more spectators or just more arrow damage? Do we even want/need more spectators?

see here for pictures of the targets in use at BUTC.

Merlin83b

What happens to the targets? Does the yellow vanish if you hit it? Presumably that's where you're supposed to be aiming?

napolienne

Fonz Awardee
Merlin83b said:
What happens to the targets? Does the yellow vanish if you hit it? Presumably that's where you're supposed to be aiming?
Yep it is. The yellow disc is either pushed back down the predrilled hole (in the foam target), pops out (your arrow having bounced off it), or the arrow goes through it and makes a popping noise.

Last edited:

Shirt

Was that photo you linked to taken deliberately with my head in the centre of the picture, or was it an accident? :)

moo-mop

Mr Bieter told me that these targets would reduce the need for judging as line cutters were easier to spot as the yellow discs either goes in or it does not. That certainly wasn't the case when I shot at them (last year, not this).

He also claimed the problems with arrows bouncing back was only with light bows and alis. It is true that my carbons never came back at me, but alis often did whatever the bow weight. Would be interesting to see them with compounds.

Although this type of target does increase the spectacle, I was never sure of the arrows coming back thing (the arrows could practically land back at your feet) and it sounds like it is still happening a lot.

Plus a few archers using open rings really didn't find the target easy.
All in all mixed feeling on them, but I still had a great day with them but I think that was more down to commentators, team element etc than the targets.

timppa

In Lilleshall Junior World champs 2004 was competition one night to those targets. Distance was 30m. It was fun to shoot.

I was shooting with one of my juniors bows and I hit one.

Shirt

moo-mop said:
Although this type of target does increase the spectacle, I was never sure of the arrows coming back thing (the arrows could practically land back at your feet) and it sounds like it is still happening a lot.
There were a couple that did come back over the shooting line this year... admittedly on the ground, but it's not ideal. And I saw at least one bent 2314 from a recurve. :(

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
They're great toys - good fun. I've never seen any bouncers, but then most of the people I shoot them with shoot compounds or fairly fast recurves and carbons (generally). Sometimes they're a bit of a b*gg*r to get your arrows out of, but other than that, no complaints.

currie1014

i was speaking to someone from clickers at the national indoors at the weekend and they really recommend it for two reason.
1. good fun
2. good mental training.

i would agree on both counts

Shirt

Clickers Archery, of course, would be the UK distributor for Danage targets.

Surprisingly enough, you need a Danage target for this Beiter thing... ;)

SLOWHAND

A couple of years ago I shot at a club who shared the field with clay pidgin shooters (no, not at the same time!!). One evening we collected some of the un shot clays and hung them on the boss in the middle of the gold. It was fantastic fun shooting at 50 yards, the clays disintegrated in a very satisfying way when hit. No damage to the boss or to the arrows, could this be a new form of archery- clay pidgin shooting with bows?

Barry C

Shirt said:
Clickers Archery, of course, would be the UK distributor for Danage targets.

Surprisingly enough, you need a Danage target for this Beiter thing... ;)
When I shoot the Beiter hitmiss at Quicks London they screwed them in to layered foam bosses no probs at all, so Danage doesnt have the monopoly there.

What do you mean heavy bow and carbons, exactly what poundage is heavy? I shot 43# with 570ace and had a few bounce back.

doubletop

hit and miss

this sounds like the way to go with kids or beginners no messing around with scoring its either that or balloons my kids love shooting at balloons they make a great pop and i can make them bigger or smaller if u want to keep people interested you gotta make it fun

Flandyman

doubletop said:
this sounds like the way to go with kids or beginners no messing around with scoring its either that or balloons my kids love shooting at balloons they make a great pop and i can make them bigger or smaller if u want to keep people interested you gotta make it fun
I agree - we have shot balloons for fun and to get the kids interested as you say great sound and you can vary the size to the skill so everyone gets to pop one

Random_guy

I shot these at BUTC and as well as being incredible fun to shoot it really does make the sport infinitely more fun to watch. The bouncing back, although slightly dangerous, adds to the spectacle for the audience, as does the poping sound, and the format for the earlier rounds is, i think more fun to watch than the finals, as people have to shoot quickly, under pressure with distractions, at the same time as the people you're shooting against. Your heart is really in your mouth for every arrow.

If we want to get more people into archery, then televise a competition in this format. If you can get non-archers to watch and ENJOY watching archery, of any format, it's only a small step away from more people taking up the sport. Afterall, one of the biggest growths in archery in recent years followed LOTR coming out. Why? because it shows people doing exciting things with bows, that make people want to try it for themselves.

droseman

What are these beiter targets made of ? Maybe its possible to make one on the cheap, maybe with clay pidgeon targets as previously mentioned.

Dave :)