Beiter hit/miss target system

napolienne

Fonz Awardee
droseman said:
What are these beiter targets made of ? Maybe its possible to make one on the cheap, maybe with clay pidgeon targets as previously mentioned.

Dave :)
The butts are essentially thick foam, the targets are plastic discs. With a cheap foam target, a drill, a pair of scissors and a sheet of thin plastic/ a few clay pigeons (put one in each driled hole) you could probably make your own.

If we want to get more people into archery, then televise a competition in this format. If you can get non-archers to watch and ENJOY watching archery, of any format, it's only a small step away from more people taking up the sport. Afterall, one of the biggest growths in archery in recent years followed LOTR coming out. Why? because it shows people doing exciting things with bows, that make people want to try it for themselves.
these new targets might improve things but archery is seriously dull to watch for most people. iv had friends and relatives come along to competitions and they find it hard to stay past 3 dozen arrows/half time break, and thats when they were wandering up and down the line chatting to people.

its also hard to keep a conversation with spectators when you are shooting due to having to shoot or score/collect arrows every 5 minutes. but that i guess is where comentary could come into play. the thought of comentary being broadcast at the competition does appeal to me "oh he's hit the red there, he's going to have to score 10s if he wants to beat That Other Archer now"...no pressure or anything.

i think exposing the public in smaller doses is the way to improve take up of the sport. through film and/or TV, where all the exposure is interesting and short. "The Weatherman" was a good exmple, detailed but not dull.

droseman

you have a good point there - as it stands archery is not very interesting to watch, that's why the Olympics changed to the 18 arrow format for the televised section of the competition.

The TV has the power to make it interesting - it can do this with innovative captions (like biathlon shooting), cameras in or near targets, like cricket and knowledgable and interesting commentary. It needs to display the intensity of a close match.

Random_guy

elastoplastscavenger said:
these new targets might improve things but archery is seriously dull to watch for most people.
Well i was talking to some people from warick who weren't archers but had slipped in to watch and they were fascinated, and got really into it. It is impossible to explain to anyone who hasn't seen this format how exciting it is, not just compared to other formats of archery, but compared to any other sport. The beiter hit/ miss targets make every arrow an event, and the short time limits keep it moving, as well as the fact that both teams are shooting at the same time, (until the final, but i prefered the format of the earlier matches) means that there's always something happening to watch, often too much to take in at once! It's fast paced, exhillarating for spectator and competitor alike, and the pressure just adds to the fun! Hopefully someone other than the BUTC organisers will realise this soon and hold an open competition with these....

Woodie

We tried a trial target a couple of years ago and could not get the juniors off it. I also took some video to demonstrate how it might be shown on TV. If anyone is interested in seeing it maybe Murray would help me put it on the web.

napolienne

Fonz Awardee
Random_guy said:
Hopefully someone other than the BUTC organisers will realise this soon and hold an open competition with these....
Now there's a thought. Anyone within reach of Oxford fancy a tournament using this system? Traditionally we hold an open portsmouth tournament, but this might be an idea worth exploring...:eek:ptimist:

droseman

Could do... I have a lot on at weekends, but i would be interested in trying it out. What dates were you thinking of ?

napolienne

Fonz Awardee
Not sure yet - have to get on to our tournament secretary. I'll launch the idea when I see her next week. I reckon we'd be talking a couple of months time, perhaps more, if the committee gives the go ahead. Also depends on whether we can persuade Mr Beiter to let us use his targets.

Last edited:

townli

does anyone know where the hit or miss system can be bought? im wanting to get a few more for my university team in the build up to this years BUTC

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
They are handed out at BUTC but are (as far as I'm aware) only produced for that event so aren't available in the shops. At the end of the shoot they usually hand out extra discs and mounts. You could try emailing Beiter directly or seeing if any Unis would be willing to sell you some of their spares...

townli

They are handed out at BUTC but are (as far as I'm aware) only produced for that event so aren't available in the shops. At the end of the shoot they usually hand out extra discs and mounts. You could try emailing Beiter directly or seeing if any Unis would be willing to sell you some of their spares...
thanks, i got a couple after last years BUTC but could do with a few more so i can set up a boss as is at the competition for the team to practice on. il try emailing beiter

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
It's a yellow spot on a black background (ultimately)... the pressure comes from trying to shoot as a team under time constraints. Stick some yellow dots on some black paper and have two teams shoot off against each other... for Champion of the Universe (or beer). At the end of the day a target is just a target.

Cruise

LOL. It's all about you isn't it? You, you, and you.
Some people might actually want to see what you're shooting at. :)