Beiter over nocks

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes, got to get the correct size though. Check Beiter's website for the size and I believe Alt Services stocks them.

Stretch

If I could get a Beiter 12/ nock into an X10 that is what I’d shoot. The best nock. Way better than pins, In/Outs and 4.5/.

Is there a reason or do you just fancy it?

Stretch

If I could get a Beiter 12/ nock into an X10 that is what I’d shoot. The best nock. Way better than pins, In/Outs and 4.5/.

Is there a reason or do you just fancy it?

Stretch
No no reason just wanted to have a play around, I’ve never tried the over nocks before and just wanted to see what they are like now that I know it’s possible.

Senlac

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, I have them on my ACEs these days. I installed them out of curiosity, after having them on X10s but then having to down-weight due to Covid break and higher spine X10s being too short. They work just fine on ACEs - though if your tuning places the tail of the arrow shafts super-close to the plunger as they pass then the overnocks can hit the plunger (they stick out a bit o course). You’ll certainly see this if it happens: in the arrow’s behaviour and in the chip taken out of the overnock!

Stretch

My hesitation would be the well known funnelling effect you get with the over fit. Definitely on X10 and also back when I shot Beman Diva S. When you hit the nock you are way more likely to break the arrow. And an ACE is a bigger target.

Like this

I recently dispatched 3 X10s in the space of about 120 arrows at 30m so make sure you shoot 3 spot targets from 30m inwards!

Stretch

Reactions: Rik

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
My hesitation would be the well known funnelling effect you get with the over fit. Definitely on X10 and also back when I shot Beman Diva S. When you hit the nock you are way more likely to break the arrow. And an ACE is a bigger target.

Like this

I recently dispatched 3 X10s in the space of about 120 arrows at 30m so make sure you shoot 3 spot targets from 30m inwards!

Stretch
It's why I like the "heavy" colours - they tend to deflect rather than funnel... (overnocks don't come in the heavy colours 😀)

Yes, I have them on my ACEs these days. I installed them out of curiosity, after having them on X10s but then having to down-weight due to Covid break and higher spine X10s being too short. They work just fine on ACEs - though if your tuning places the tail of the arrow shafts super-close to the plunger as they pass then the overnocks can hit the plunger (they stick out a bit o course). You’ll certainly see this if it happens: in the arrow’s behaviour and in the chip taken out of the overnock!
Could you tell me what pin inserts you are using for them please and where you got them from? Thank you in advance!.

Stretch

I think you‘re getting mixed up. The 4.5x takes pin…. If you want to use those damn things… but for x10 only. The standard over nocks do not use pins.

Rik, I never found that “heavy” made any difference what so ever to protecting the arrow. Actually preferred the standard plastics on ACE.

Technically the In/Outs are heavy and do offer a bit more protection on X10s but suck because they crack and bend and you can‘t always see the crack or the bend.

2p

Stretch

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I have been tempted to get some having seen the Korean preferences for them, but since finding some small cracks in the back of the aluminium tube I have been shooting ACEs with collars and pins rather than the insert type. They are now over two years old, and I usually smash a couple of nocks and pins a day. So far not one ACE has succumbed.

Stretch

It is funny how different folks have different results with pins. In 410 and 450 x10s, every time I break a nock the shaft cracks when I am using pins. Even relatively innocuous “not exactly plum” breakages. Not always immediately but at best shortly afterwards. (And no, I am not overheating the pins :unsure:)

That was the feedback I gave Easton on the prototypes back in 1998(7?). I keep trying them periodically and I get the same thing every time. Same result with Easton and Beiter pin nocks.

Others seem to have very different results.

Stretch

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I think you‘re getting mixed up. The 4.5x takes pin…. If you want to use those damn things… but for x10 only. The standard over nocks do not use pins.

Rik, I never found that “heavy” made any difference what so ever to protecting the arrow. Actually preferred the standard plastics on ACE.

Technically the In/Outs are heavy and do offer a bit more protection on X10s but suck because they crack and bend and you can‘t always see the crack or the bend.

2p

Stretch
My observation is that the heavy colours tend to tear and warp, rather than shatter, when struck. I asked Andreas at Beiter about that - something to do with the differences the types of colouring agents make to the material properties of the plastic...

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
every time I break a nock the shaft cracks when I am using pins. Even relatively innocuous “not exactly plum” breakages. Not always immediately but at best shortly afterwards. (And no, I am not overheating the pins :unsure:
Stretch
I had the same issue with ACEs. When I started using collars the problem went away.

I have been tempted to get some having seen the Korean preferences for them, but since finding some small cracks in the back of the aluminium tube I have been shooting ACEs with collars and pins rather than the insert type. They are now over two years old, and I usually smash a couple of nocks and pins a day. So far not one ACE has succumbed.
I believe that Top Hat archery now do conversion pins for the ACE’s to take Beiter overnocks that completely save the shaft from splits.