Best Bowstring

wingate_52

What is your best bowstring? Where did you buy it from or have you made it yourself? What is good about it and why?

GreenSteve

well i`ve jumped up and down about it else where so best add it in here :bouncy:
for me my best string so far is the Angel Majesty from HNL :thumbsup:
it added about 3" to the extension of my sight mark for 100yrds :applause:
also its in nifty black and white (although Green and Black would have been better) ;)
prior to this was a 14 strand fastflight which was lots better than 16 strand fastflight which seemed no better than a dacron :scratchch

Shirt

Best string is any one of the ones in my case.

It's the best string because it holds the limbs together and doesn't fall apart on the first shot.

Also, when you figure how many strings I've got off that spool, it was dirt cheap, and as such better yet.

Woodie

Current string is BCY452 8 strand. Young Simon's wife Lana makes all my strings to order (or more usually by telling me what to try next). Very reasonably priced and she can make 10 in the time it takes me to make 1.
Anyone interested in getting their's made let me know.

Big Boy Blue

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I have to go with Angel Majesty from Leighton at HNL, absolutely stunning string. Its still looking like new after nearly a full outdoor season.

NoAngel

I used to use a pea green flemished string made from 16 strand fast flight, it was a piece of art, made by a master string maker. Unfortunately the string maker is no longer with us so I have to go to commercial outlets.

I will see if I still have it and post a picture of it for you, truely wonderful, I have never seen anyone else make strings like this, and I have never shot another string thats has been so good.

Last edited:

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Him Indoors and I both swear by our home made, laid in flemish twist fastflight strings. They need fewer strands (as all of them go round the limb tips, not just half), and only need serving in the middle.
Its very theraputic making them, they last forever (Him Indoors still has one he made in 1991 and it has never let him down) and they look reaaaally cool. They take a little longer to shoot in, and can be a tiny bit slower than running loop strings, (they don't affect my sightmarks significantly) but they are easy on your limbs too.
However, they take time to make so Him Indoors has a HNL one bought second hand but new from Tarkwin (thanks) which he really likes. Much better than the previous bought one he had. I have a generic one from Bowsports and I don't like it much.

wingate_52

O.K. A question for the HNL converts. Angel Majesty fine, Number of strands?What serving and what end loops would you recommend? Thanks.

Stretch

For Majesty I prefer 17 strand (which is almost as irritating as the black lines you get on your chin). But preffered string on Extremes (at the moment) is 18 strand 8125 but colour is important red or green are fine. The silvery grey is manky with wax to the point that your string is visibly thicker and you need to clean your serving tool! Black is OK but on the waxy side.

End serving, I've been using regular ANGEL for years on end and centre - never had any bother. Recently I've been trying Majesty which also gives a very nice finish and is great for centre serving especially if you use Beiter nocking points. Also tried BCY Halo but wasn't a fan.

I've always prefered 100% dyneema blends (like ASB, Majesty, all variants of Dynaflight, FF and 8125 etc) to vectran dyneema blends (S4, Premium 450, 452 etc)

YMMV

Stretch

PS Needless to say all home made!