Best cheap carbon arrow

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I believe all Easton arrows are made in the USA so will likely be very well made.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I don't know if they've changed more recently but I got my timber creek ones quite a few years back and I'd say these ones were pretty robust. The finish has worn off the few couple of inches from straw bosses after quite a lot of use and I've broken two, one a direct hit on the concrete back wall of my garage which at 190+ fps would finish most arrows, and one fluke where the point glanced off a screw head in a target stand. Glanced off a few trees with no issue.
Yes I think concrete walls will see off most arrows.

4d4m

OK, so after changing my mind, ordering a set of Gold Tip Hunter and trying unsuccessfully to cancel the order of the Skylons before it was shipped out of Merlin's warehouse (they really should implement online order cancellation option), it turns out the Gold Tips in 500 spine are stock length of 30.25" not 32" as the page stated. That's chocolate fireguard territory for me, they'd be liable to fall off the shelf.
So I've ended up with the Skylon Edge. They do look very nice shafts though. An unexpected value-add they come with nocks and fletched. I also fed back that they need to be more accurate in their product descriptions, if the lengths are spine dependent, that needs to be specified.

Unfortunately for me the nocks are the wrong colour 😊 and I'd already ordered some anyway, and they're fletched with vanes and I need feathers as these are for my trad style bows. I guess I sound ungrateful but it's a waste and a bit annoying as I've got to strip off the vanes and glue residue before fletching.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
OK, so after changing my mind, ordering a set of Gold Tip Hunter and trying unsuccessfully to cancel the order of the Skylons before it was shipped out of Merlin's warehouse (they really should implement online order cancellation option), it turns out the Gold Tips in 500 spine are stock length of 30.25" not 32" as the page stated. That's chocolate fireguard territory for me, they'd be liable to fall off the shelf.
So I've ended up with the Skylon Edge. They do look very nice shafts though. An unexpected value-add they come with nocks and fletched. I also fed back that they need to be more accurate in their product descriptions, if the lengths are spine dependent, that needs to be specified.

Unfortunately for me the nocks are the wrong colour 😊 and I'd already ordered some anyway, and they're fletched with vanes and I need feathers as these are for my trad style bows. I guess I sound ungrateful but it's a waste and a bit annoying as I've got to strip off the vanes and glue residue before fletching.
Sorry to hear about your problems. When I bought my Gold Tips I ordered them cut to 29 inches, and checking Merlin's web page I had no reason to doubt that the original length was 32 inches as they state.
It's really annoying when they make mistakes with such fundamental information. Anyway I'm sure the Skylons will prove to be good arrows.
Have fun.

4d4m

Looks like the vanes are my fault. I looked at my order again, and seems I may have placed the order for the built arrows. The order says Skylon Edge Arrows 500 12pk, but if I add the shafts to the basket now it says Skylon Edge Shafts 500 12pk :rolleyes: What a div!

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Looks like the vanes are my fault. I looked at my order again, and seems I may have placed the order for the built arrows. The order says Skylon Edge Arrows 500 12pk, but if I add the shafts to the basket now it says Skylon Edge Shafts 500 12pk :rolleyes: What a div!
Friends have just bought some of them and like them - they do look like extremely good value.

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
We all make mistakes. :)

I’ll qualify cheap as inexpensive but reasonable quality

I’m looking for a new set for my field bows. 500 spine and must be at least 32” stock length.
I’m using a set of Timber Creek Traditional that have been fantastic. Robust and accurate. I’m down to 10 now so with one as a bare shaft, with 3 marked up for each of the 3 NFAS peg colours it will be annoying if I lose/break another.

I’m looking for a replacement set and I’m not finding much at the moment in a reasonable price bracket.
I’d prefer not to go for pig in a poke shafts from China, but I may have to.

i shoot instinctive so not looking for the ultimate in weight or spine tolerance but want them to be reasonably consistent and preferably fit standard nocks and inserts.

Easton powerflights were looking good but only 31” in 500 spine.

Gavin Eisler

Supporter
Supporter
As per Wully, i have been using Link boy arrows from China for over a year, each dozen is matched to within 2 grains and the spine is very consistent. Straight to within 0.003" .They are very robust, and short of a direct impact with stone they shrug off bad shots. At less than 50 quid a dozen I think they are excellent value for field archery. Some hard impacts have bent the tip and insert but left the shaft undamaged, cant ask for more. Compared to shooting woodies they are almost indestructible. Delivery time is usually less than 2 weeks.
I shoot barebow Uukha Ux 100 s at 44 # on the fingers, arrows are 500 spine , 6.2 mm ID, cut to 29". Penetration into soft wood with field tips about 2", so they are getting a beating.