Best fletching Jig for making wooden arrows

SimonS

Managed to get a lot of advice on here with regards to making wooden Longbow arrows by reading lots of threads.
Got some arrow parts and tools on order with Merlin and the Longbow emporium.
Now I have a Decut 'Norman' fletching jig which i have used successfully on Carbon/Aluminium arrows but never been entirely happy with the quality.
So in the market for a new jig to embark on wooden arrows

Any suggestions on what would be a good buy ?
Willing to spend a bit more for a quality jig/clamp - does not particularly need to do helical but might be a nice option for the future.
Thanks.

Corax67

I fletch all of my wooden arrows on my Bearpaw jig which gives great results, it came with a straight holder but I picked up a cheap helical on eBay which I've not used yet. It's permanently set up for my 9/16" shafts.

I also have a Cartel which I use for my carbons & ali's since it saves changing the setups.

Karl

SimonS

Thanks Karl, seen the bearpaw and its high on my list, good to know it performs.
Jut checking you meant 5/16"and not 9/16"or do you make larger diameter arrows ?

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have one of those ?20 cartel jigs, fletched both left and right hand up to 5" with no problem

Robin9

Supporter
Supporter
What I like about it is that you can fix all 3 fletchings at the same time - but I have made a pen mark on each of the clamps to align the fletchings (depending on length) to avoid fiddling about. The clamps hold with the use of very small ball bearings & flexible metal hinge things (sorry I'm non-technical!) - with moderately careful handling it works very well for me. Also just as easy to repair one fletching.

Cheers,
Robin

Corax67

Thanks Karl, seen the bearpaw and its high on my list, good to know it performs.
Jut checking you meant 5/16"and not 9/16"or do you make larger diameter arrows ?

5/16 is indeed correct - I really shouldn't respond at stupid o'clock in the morning :)

My brother-in-law also has a Bearpaw as his sole jig and loves it too if that helps.

Karl

bobnewboy

Carol jig for me. Well made and has fletched many hundreds of arrows without issue. Sylvan archery is run by Hilary Greenland - she and Carol are best buddies so its probably the same item.

Geophys

For me it's a Longshot jig, make most of the arrows for my club and really like it, the body isn't a bit of bent tin, but a solid machined block.