Best reasonably priced formula limbs

Dunlop8991

Hi,
I am looking to buy a low to mid priced new or used pair or formula limbs.

Does anyone have any suggestions or views on what not to buy?

I was looking at Integra or Ace

Ian

AIUK Saviour
Hi,
I am looking to buy a low to mid priced new or used pair or formula limbs.

Does anyone have any suggestions or views on what not to buy?

I was looking at Integra or Ace
Border have some Formula limbs in their limb sale at very reasonable prices.
Take a look,you may find a suitable set and they are excellent limbs.
Click on this for a link to the site and I think they are listed under resources.

JohnK

Agreed. There's a good selection of CV Formula fit limbs on that list, for only £225 to £250.

The CV limb is a more conventional recurve shape than Border's other offerings, but are very high performance for the money. I wish they still made them, personally, but I was lucky enough to get a small stock in when they went on clearance.

Stretch

Borders are a decent buy if you like them. I have never tried Borders Formula fit so will refrain from comment.

I cannot speak to the Integra or the ACE as I haven’t shot them. The Integra seem expensive for what they are. I have never even seen anyone shooting the ACE limb. I’m sure they are fine but...

All the Hoyt limbs from F3 through to the latest have all been at least OK.

I found the budget Excel limb very soft and clunky but the arrows went in the middle. Personally I wouldn’t (I had a light set after an injury)

The 720 was a good wood carbon limb. I kind of regret never buying a set of those. Can’t speak to the later 840 but I wouldn’t buy them as they have a stupid name.

Foam F4 should be very cheap now, around £100 to £150. They were a bit clattery for me... a bit noisy for me and a little more vibration than some but they shot well. F3 were very nice but I doubt you’ll find a set. Very very nice...

F7 in wood or foam was a nice easy to get on with limb. Would recommend both. They weren’t terribly popular but I never had any issues.

Quattro was a good limb also - I have a set of woodcore that are great. I had a set of foam core which were OK, shot very well but a bit snappy for my tastes - I preferred the wood. Quieter and nicer feel IMO. Recommend both.

Cant speak to the XTour, never shot them.

The Velos are fast and snappy. Not the quietest. Not the easiest to tune but shoot unbelievably when you get there.

Given that the best archers in the world have achieved only 10 points more with the Velos than they achieved with the F4, any of the older top line limbs will out shoot 99.99% of us.

if you can afford Integra then Quattro/Xtour are on budget easily. If you can find a decent set of 720s I think you’ll be happy there too.

Dont write off any of the MK F limbs if you can find a set at a good price. There are quite a lot of good deals on previous model limbs currently. Just be aware they will be heavier than Hoyt on marked weight.

All of that is based on my experience shooting 32” x10 at between 40 and 44# in 27” risers (and 25“ riser for the Velos) with Medium and Long limbs (70”, 72”]

This applies for me in both HP and standard geometry Hoyt risers But in HP I would avoid the F4 But the foam F7 was good. All of my preference is about feel, even the Excel shot better than me. All of the limbs have slightly different compromises on stability/Speed. Price varies for secondhand with condition and length/# combo.

Hope that helps ;-)

Stretch

Stretch

I sold my foam Quattro limbs to a young French guy who was shooting Ukkha limbs with the adaptors in a Formula bow... IonX I think. The archer and his coach were unimpressed by the adaptors, by the noise of the bow and if I recall correctly the fact that the adaptors looked like they might be failing sometime soon.

If you have chosen Formula riser, ignore Uukah. (In my opinion) Within 2 minutes of attaching my Quattros to his riser they were sold. Same length, same weight on fingers.

Stretch

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
... Ukkha limbs with the adaptors in a Formula bow... IonX I think.
That's a good point. I forget you need adapters on them. I shoot Xtours at the moment but they are so fragile, the slightest tap and the varnish/paint chips like crazy.

Stretch

I shoot Xtours at the moment but they are so fragile, the slightest tap and the varnish/paint chips like crazy.
Hoyt seem to go through phases of OK to scratch easily. Not quite sure what the issue is. F4 (and Id guess F3) were pretty soft. F7 seemed fine. Quattros are pretty good. Xtour seem fragile. Velos are OK but not bombproof. Having shot them on a riser with a dowel and now shooting them an an Xi the butt end is losing clearcoat like crazy.

Worst ever were FX (far too many layers of clear coat made them easy to chip apparently). My Carbon plus looked great until they had a run in with an Audi 80. Then they still shot OK but looked, shall we say, a trifle knackered. (And 24 years on they still shoot nicely today if I am feeling energetic).

I think it is deliberate to encourage the equipment obsessed (a camp which I openly admit to having a foot in) to upgrade regularly. Or is that my year 2020 cynicism cutting in?

BTW for the OP I have a set of foam F7 36# medium in decent used condition. They are just kicking around in a box so I’d sell them if you are interested in saving a lot of your budget. They were shot for less than a year as in HP Geometry Hoyts (HPX) I preferred the 72” bow for my 32” draw. However, if I was you, and had the budget you have, I’d be looking for woodcore Quattros, maybe foam if you need the extra 1 or 2 fps, and pocket a decent wad of your change. (At least £100)

Stretch

Dunlop8991

Hoyt seem to go through phases of OK to scratch easily. Not quite sure what the issue is. F4 (and Id guess F3) were pretty soft. F7 seemed fine. Quattros are pretty good. Xtour seem fragile. Velos are OK but not bombproof. Having shot them on a riser with a dowel and now shooting them an an Xi the butt end is losing clearcoat like crazy.

Worst ever were FX (far too many layers of clear coat made them easy to chip apparently). My Carbon plus looked great until they had a run in with an Audi 80. Then they still shot OK but looked, shall we say, a trifle knackered. (And 24 years on they still shoot nicely today if I am feeling energetic).

I think it is deliberate to encourage the equipment obsessed (a camp which I openly admit to having a foot in) to upgrade regularly. Or is that my year 2020 cynicism cutting in?

BTW for the OP I have a set of foam F7 36# medium in decent used condition. They are just kicking around in a box so I’d sell them if you are interested in saving a lot of your budget. They were shot for less than a year as in HP Geometry Hoyts (HPX) I preferred the 72” bow for my 32” draw. However, if I was you, and had the budget you have, I’d be looking for woodcore Quattros, maybe foam if you need the extra 1 or 2 fps, and pocket a decent wad of your change. (At least £100)

Stretch
Hi Strerch,

May I ask how much you would sell the F7s for and if you can post some photos of them?

kind regards
Dunlop 8991

Stretch

Hi Strerch,

May I ask how much you would sell the F7s for and if you can post some photos of them?

kind regards
Dunlop 8991
I‘d consider letting them go for £175 including postage (assuming mainland UK) + PayPal Fees if you want buyer protection (which I would prefer). The images I have are too large to just attach here... so I’d need to edit them etc but drop me a private email address by PM and I am happy to email them to you.

They have Limbsavers attached but these will come off if you want them off.

Stretch