Black hunter longbow and arrow spine

Craig75

Just purchased a black hunter longbow at 35lbs, I have a 27" draw ...what would be a good spine to go for and what carbon arrow would you recommend..
Been shooting compound for a while and needed a bow just to have some fun with..

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I’d use a bow scale to check the draw weight before getting arrows..I had one bought as 35# but was actually 28#. They sent me a new set of 40# which scaled at 36#.

Craig75

I've just bought some 600 spine easton axis traditional arrows ...I'm going to use 4" feathers not sure about point weight, I've already got 100g points I can Rob off my 500 spine axis ...is worth getting some 125g points...

borderer

I’d stick with 100gns. An overall arrow weight of about 10gns per pound of draw weight seems to work well for me.

D

Deleted member 7654

I've just bought some 600 spine easton axis traditional arrows ...I'm going to use 4" feathers not sure about point weight, I've already got 100g points I can Rob off my 500 spine axis ...is worth getting some 125g points...
No..

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I’d stick with 100gns. An overall arrow weight of about 10gns per pound of draw weight seems to work well for me.
When I bought my last bow I checked with the maker regarding minimum arrow weight and thay based it on draw length

" We usually recommend a very minimum of 10gr per inch for arrow weight with our wooden risers with limbs at 40#, preferably heavier if possible. "

not specifically on draw weight, based on my current draw length of 27" I tried out some light weight arrows which give great results for me 600 spine carbon, 60grain points and overall weight around 270 grains. So which is best, to use draw weight or length of draw?

borderer

I go by actual draw weight- with my all wood bows I tend to prefer around 12+gns per pound going up to counter hand shock. It’s all a bit trial and error!.The black hunter though is incredibly robust-I’ve put several thousand arrows through mine in the past 18 months and get the best results with between 9gns and 10gns per pound irrespective of whether I’m using the longbow or recurve limbs.My limbs are the bamboo core ones and their weight comes up accurately on my scale give or take half a pound and there’s no signs of damage. If you get good results at 270gns with no vibration that’s in excess of 8gns per pound and probably okay-try varying the point weight at 75/100 gns and see if there’s any improvement-good shooting!

Craig75

Well the bow and the arrows turned up today but can't shoot it until Saturday so I'll post back my results on point weight..

Craig75

Didn't get to shoot this weekend at the club due to being ill ( man flu) so had a session in the garden...only got 15m I can safely shoot ..I have to say say I'm extremely impressed with the black hunter..bearing in mind I haven't shot a trad bow for about 2 years once I worked out my poa the arrows were going right where I wanted them..I've got 85g-100g-125g points with my easton axis traditional arrows but Can't quite tell which fly better between the 85g and 100g points I need a bit more distance to get a good reading .
I'm pulling 32.5lbs otf with 600 spine arrows cut at 30" with 27" draw...prefer the arrows a bit long I find it easier to aim when gap shooting

wully

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
They are sweet bows to shoot.. are you shooting some bare shafts? If not you can’t really tell what’s happening.

Craig75

I will when I get to the range and shoot 20m/30m .. I'm tempted to sell my compound and get myself some more trad bows, I've forgotten how much fun they are

borderer

Good to hear it’s going well- found a reference (which I’ve now lost!! ) recommending 8-10 gns per pound of draw weight for the Black Hunter . So you’re well within the recommended parameters from Junxing.