Boss backstops

TJ Mason

Soaring
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
American Shoot
We need to make or obtain some backstops which attach behind straw bosses to stop pass-throughs.

Can anyone recommend good-quality backstops? Or does anyone have tips for making them? Ta!

Shirt

Old danage cubes and a couple of bungee cords is a good start.
Otherwise, find an old dead foam boss, break it up, assemble what's left of the foam into piles about two foot square, shrinkwrap it so it stays together, then use that instead.

fanio

Carpet tiles should work if they are hung behind.
I thought so too - until I tried it. Even my 43# recurve punched arrows through (this is with a homemade layered cardboard boss - it looked like the layered foam bosses, with the cardboard +/- 8" deep). I found, also, that the carpet tiles would split, which I was worried would damage the carbon arrows when drawing arrows.

old used conveyor belting works well - same idea but much tougher; make sure it hangs loose at the bottom

BillM

SAA Northen Area use parts of an old straw boss. They are cut about 7/8 layers from the outside, are the size of A3 and suspended by target pins/roof nails at the back of the centre. It will require some stitching along the edges before cutting but they do work. PM me and I'll send photos I took.

BillM

fulow

My club soaks the straw boss with PVA glue both sides. Makes them last a lot longer before arrows pass through.