Boss for Home Shooting

Senior Shirley

Supporter
Supporter
Hi All,
I bought a bonded polystyrene boss online last summer and it worked ok but the centre wore out pretty quickly. I saw some offcuts of insulation board in my neighbours garden which he let me have and I've found them much better to shoot at. Wicks and other builders outlets sell these boards in larges sizes which can be cut down to fit your needs. They work out much cheaper than the 'poly' one and last longer. The thickest ones with a silver covering are the best.
I only shoot at 40ft/45ft in my garden and use a 16lb bow and 40cm target face. (I'm an old girl with a dickie heart so that's all I can manage). My arrows only penetrate about a third of the boss so that works fine for me.
I think this type of material would suit a lot of home shooters so thought I would pass it on.
Good Shooting

AndyW

Senior Shirley - I can see you were well intentioned but most bows will only fleetingly be aware of the insulation board on the way to whatever actually stops them.

Corax67

I imagine this material will only work with very low poundage bow setups - I shoot 20 & 30 yard rounds at home with a laminated high-density closed cell foam boss, it was from a local packing company who had a load of 2"x18"x48" off cuts, 3 pieces glued together will comfortably stop ACCs from 40# on the fingers but arrow pulling can be a bit of a beggar.

it looks and feels a lot like Danage target faces but thankfully cost me nothing

Karl

Senior Shirley

Supporter
Supporter
I realise that the boards I'm using would suit very few people. That is why I mentioned the draw weight of my bow but perhaps there are others like myself who love practicing archery but haven't got the strength they once had. I'm finding the insulation works very well. As with everything, a little common sense is required when using materials not normal in archery.

AndyW

Good for you. I always used to use a few layers of cardboard sellotaped together - what works, works.

Corax67

I realise that the boards I'm using would suit very few people. That is why I mentioned the draw weight of my bow but perhaps there are others like myself who love practicing archery but haven't got the strength they once had. I'm finding the insulation works very well. As with everything, a little common sense is required when using materials not normal in archery.

It's good to know these boards do work - sounds like they would be useful for children practising at home with their parents in the garden or maybe for 'have-a-go" sessions where low poundage bows are the norm.

Nowt wrong with trying alternative materials.

Karl

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
The hard foam padding found on wheelchair seats makes pretty reasonable bosses when backed with something a bit more rigid like the above mentioned insulation board.
I now live in Eastbourne so there is a plentiful supply of wheelchairs parked outside most shops and the owners can never catch up with you so they are free!

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
seriously though you can often get the offcuts for next to nothing from the mobility equipment suppliers as long as you are happy to glue a load of off bits together.